Type 4 CJ 2.0 into Beetle

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
topnotch

Type 4 CJ 2.0 into Beetle

Post by topnotch »

Hi there,

I`ve picked up a CJ 2.0 Type 4 engine for cheap - it needs a rebuild, but it came pretty much complete for an upright conversion. It`ll be going in our 72 Beetle.

Its come with CSP upright conversion kit - so has the fan housing, and fibre glass barrel covers. Also has the alternator stand and has had the front of the engine milled down to fit the pulley. Its got an external oil cooler too.

My first question which i can`t find much info on anywhere - normally, the top half of the engine in a type 1 is sealed by the tin completely from the bottom so the fan doesn`t suck in hot exhaust air - the kit has none of this. How is this normally achieved in a beetle?

Secondly - the external oil cooler - where is this mounted generally? On a bus, i could mount it between the chassis rails, but on a beetle, there isn`t much room there!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Mike
wreck

Re: Type 4 CJ 2.0 into Beetle

Post by wreck »

I cut down a Type 1 Breast tin (behind the pulley ) to fit the type 4 and add a small piece to it on the left side , I make tins that bolt to the heads with the cylinder covers then cut down the front and rear type 1 tins to suit . In both my conversions (one sharp built and one my own )I've the flange where the type 4 lower and upper tin join , the rear (pulley end) tin from a type 1 sits at the same height . I like it because it gives a more stock look then just a piece of flat sheet metal cut to fit .
With a CSP kit you will have to fabricate brackets to bolt or glass to the cylinder covers to hold the tin .

I run two coolers with shrouded fans either side of the gear box with a Mocal thermostat oil filter sandwich plate depending on the engine and climate you may only need one.
,,.download/file.php?mode=view&id=20573
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
topnotch

Post by topnotch »

Thanks - nice setup :-)

That looks tight where the oil coolers are - I was hoping to run the heat exchangers but have considered ditching them - still to decide though!

So for tin - use the CSP stuff , fab some up for the sides and then modify the type 1 for the front and back.

Cheers Mike
bushoarder

Post by bushoarder »

Nice exhaust system. How did you make this? I’ve just put a Cali conversion t4 into my early bay bus and it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wreck

Post by wreck »

I bought 180 degree Mandel bends and a couple of donuts with a slip on collector . I used the donuts for the 1 & 2 pipes near the collector to get a tight radius. (1 7/8 near the collector ) . I took a fair bit of working out and trail and error to get the pipes even length but got close enough in the end .
No matter where you go , there you are !
topnotch

Post by topnotch »

Has anyone used the original type 4 oil cooler and mounted in on top of the engine where the original type 1 oil cooler is - perhaps using a type 1 doghouse fan housing tin?
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

That is the normal way doing the Cali conversion. You just have to widen the tin a bit. Buy the Cali conversion book, it is a very good investment (type4 upright conversion).