twin plug discussions....

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Piledriver

Re: twin plug discussions....

Post by Piledriver »

bj wrote:Pile,

But would you still have to remove the tubes?

BJ
I had set mine up at a shallower angle to possibly allow for plug removal, but the steeper angle EMW uses makes the backside machining very straightforward, which is a bigger win.

Probably (ask WLD419), but pulling the tubes is easy on a T4 unless you have them glued in.

At 50K miles it wouldn't be a bad plan to have a good look at things anyway, at least on a hipo big bore motor, with iron jugs you will almost certainly have to replace the jugs for out of round long before the iridium plugs.
Last edited by Piledriver on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bj

Post by bj »

I see. Out if round for the 103s due to heat?

Shouldn't the twin plugs help run cooler though? For some reason I rememeber this from jake's testing ... But could be wrong.

BJ
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bj wrote:I see. Out if round for the 103s due to heat?

Shouldn't the twin plugs help run cooler though? For some reason I rememeber this from jake's testing ... But could be wrong.

BJ
It will surely help.
rebored heat cycled used jugs would tend to stay rounder.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have more than a few thousand dollars in them, I'm going to run 'em! I bought them from Power Tuning Parts in 2001 along with about six grand worth of other hotrod T4 parts. I did this when I had more money than brains, and right before the Deutschmark turned into the Euro and we lost 35% of our US buying power (followed by the dot com bubble).

I will get a manifold pic posted. BAS Ahnendorp super short IDF manifolds. Welded. They taper from 48mm top to ~41mm at the round port. Then they open back up to the seat throat. Very nice work back in the day. Of course I wish they were prettier and made off new AMC castings. I'm not sure those even existed 14 years ago though.

The Exhaust is a BAS Ahendorp 21158 Kup header. 1 3/4", short equal length primaries, fully German stainless steel. The stub pipes match up beautifully with the port ID and actually clear everything on my initial mock ups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bj

Post by bj »

I did this when I had more money than brains,
LOL...been there too Steve...in fact my bug is STILL sitting in the garage with my "new" motor in it...on a different island...soon though...soon.

too bad there aren't any SS pistons in 103s huh? that would be a bad ass engine...might run cool enough for the 103s to have a longer life span.

BJ
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bj wrote:
I did this when I had more money than brains,
LOL...been there too Steve...in fact my bug is STILL sitting in the garage with my "new" motor in it...on a different island...soon though...soon.

too bad there aren't any SS pistons in 103s huh? that would be a bad ass engine...might run cool enough for the 103s to have a longer life span.

BJ
I'm pretty sure John could get Endyn to get WISECO to make 103mm versions if you were serious and paid up front. I would still talk with John, first. He may have no interest, if not, go direct.

The Squishie pistons are well priced for a set of fully custom forged WISECOs.
(or at least used to be)
bj

Post by bj »

Considering the benefits and the price of good forged pistons...I agree that they are well priced.

You think a twin plug would still be advantageous with a SS type of piston though?

I'm just afraid to see what the sticker shock is for just one set to be made...while I still have no brains, the money is now gone too! At least for a little while (kids) :).

BJ
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bj wrote:Considering the benefits and the price of good forged pistons...I agree that they are well priced.

You think a twin plug would still be advantageous with a SS type of piston though?
BJ
With GDi? absolutely, the bottom plug is in the perfect location, and everything is over the exhaust valve bowl, in the amusement park of my mind, a much better location for stratified charge than a bowl in a relatively cold piston.

The first place I tried for the proper plug insert kit wanted $430. I'll lay down aluminum with SMAW and drill it/tap it by eyeball (or drill// press in a custom plug and just TIG it in the hole) before I spend that much to try a hare brained idea.
IIRC there was another source that used standard size taps for everything...
dawie

Post by dawie »

For what reason do you want to use an insert instead of tapping directly into the head? Would the insert perhaps help by covering some thread of the steel plug, which would otherwise glow causing detonation?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

dawie wrote:For what reason do you want to use an insert instead of tapping directly into the head? Would the insert perhaps help by covering some thread of the steel plug, which would otherwise glow causing detonation?

Due to the entry angle and how the heads are made, you need something to even have the plug fully supported..., looks like some welding will be desirable , may be possible to directly thread fully welded area (no insert) if the right rod was used.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

bj wrote:Pile,

But would you still have to remove the tubes?

BJ
probably not, the plugs are 13mm hex.
A strategically placed dent in the tube might help.