DEUTZ 912 CYLINDERS

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
MRRAGPICKER

DEUTZ 912 CYLINDERS

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

I have aquired these

They have some surface rust but looks like it can be taking out when turned for new chevy pistons. They are for my next engine or the next.
Not sure if I want to attempt to turbo these big boys or go with 90 or 91mm's and long stroke.
Last edited by MRRAGPICKER on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Where did you get these from.
MRRAGPICKER

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

From a farmer in Wisconsin.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

If i am not mistaken these liners are the ones discussed sometime ago that was said to be the ones of choice to use on a type4 engine.
dstar

Post by dstar »

As long as you have a lathe to turn them down!
:-D

Don
MRRAGPICKER

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

My main problem now is what length to cut them to? The combination of Chevy piston pin height + which rod + which crank choices can be staggering. Since I can make them whatever length I want (within reason) I'd like to make a good choice. I'm under the impression that they can be slightly longer that stock ones and I'll just need to get longer pushrod tubes and head stud bolts. Anyone have any combinations they've been wanting to do that wouldn't be to radical?
Unkl Ian

Post by Unkl Ian »

Figure out what deck height you need, based on stroke,
rod length, quench clearance, and compression height on the pistons.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

....then make them too long, you can go back and turn them again,
to make them shorter but you can't make them longer once they are cut!

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
MRRAGPICKER

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

You got that right Don, I'll probably cut them a inch too long to start. (then find out that they're really 1/2" too long). I'm going to open them up about 1mm, but they are thick at the top head flange. The walls are 10mm thick at the top. I'll need to turn down the O.D. Would a wall thickness of 7mm be a good stopping point?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

MRRAGPICKER wrote:You got that right Don, I'll probably cut them a inch too long to start. (then find out that they're really 1/2" too long). I'm going to open them up about 1mm, but they are thick at the top head flange. The walls are 10mm thick at the top. I'll need to turn down the O.D. Would a wall thickness of 7mm be a good stopping point?

Cool :twisted:

These are the 100mm bores that fit the T4 stud layout?

The upper OD is pretty much "set" due to the holes in the head for the studs--- The typical 103-105mm jugs head register is 115mm nominal OD/ 114.82---4.5205" measured off the $150 QSC alloys I picked up.

The lilkely main thing limiting bore will be the thickness of the skirt end... Get them bored before you turn them down, even cast iron is elastic, you'll get a truer bore on a thick jug.

You have to go quite a ways before you need aftermarket studs, stockers will usually allow at least 10mm/side, usually more.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
MRRAGPICKER

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

Hey Pile, I was the next highest bidder on those QSC's.
What is the OD of those where they go into the case? Also how long is the skirt into the case?
Yeah they're 100mm. I'll post a pic tomorrow that shows the bolt holes.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

103 jug dimensions for fitting...
Measured with a handy pair of Starret calipers off QSC alloys, which may or may not be a great "reference" :lol:

Head OD: 4.5205.
Case OD: 4.270"
depth in case: 1.355"
flange-to-flange: 3.425
Depth in head: .260"
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
MRRAGPICKER

Post by MRRAGPICKER »

here are some pics
The first one is a 90mm 1700 914 cylinder on top of one of the Deutz, to show bolt hole location. I could only get a shot of one hole at a time. All the holes are lined up just like the one that you can see in the pic.

Last edited by MRRAGPICKER on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Jesus these liners are thick.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have a question that the camera cannot easily image, but you can easily see:

Does the cylinder wall thickness neck down anywhere in the finned area, or is it ~ 120mm OD all the way to the base flange?

If so, these would make awesome turbo jugs... and may be able to be bored to 107mm.

The finned area and head stub is basically longer than a stcok T4 jug.