Trouble with Search function

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
doc
Site Admin

Trouble with Search function

Post by doc »

The STF search function is not operating properly after the changeover. We're working to make the correction. Please use Google or similar until repairs are completed which will be announced here.

Thanks for your patience.

doc

6/26/11 - Long since fixed. But info below good as a backup. doc
MarioVelotta

Re: Trouble with Search function

Post by MarioVelotta »

Site:www.shoptalkforums.com SEARCH WORDS HERE <--- Enter this into google

It works better than the onboard search function many times.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
baja5

Post by baja5 »

Most of us just summons David58 if we can't find something. Seems to work better that Google or any other search engine. Thanks David, and keep up the good work. :lol:
fusername

Post by fusername »

haha yeap.
david58

Post by david58 »

baja5 wrote:Most of us just summons David58 if we can't find something. Seems to work better that Google or any other search engine. Thanks David, and keep up the good work. :lol:
I can't help it you guys are just too lazy to type in a couple words and search. :D
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
baja5

Post by baja5 »

david58 wrote:
baja5 wrote:Most of us just summons David58 if we can't find something. Seems to work better that Google or any other search engine. Thanks David, and keep up the good work. :lol:
I can't help it you guys are just too lazy to type in a couple words and search. :D
There is NO doube about this, you are 100% correct.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I just need you to hit my enter key. It's too big for me.
david58

Post by david58 »

Lotrat wrote:I just need you to hit my enter key. It's too big for me.
Let me find my hammer buddy.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
perrib

Post by perrib »

Thanks david and Doc

It worked for me. http://www.google.com/sitesearch/
Enter your website's URL and a sample search query - and see Google Site Search in action for your website.

Enter a site URL: Query:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com rocker geometry

It returned 3 pages.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

This may help until I get the reindexing done. I'm up to about 80,000 posts.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01563 ... kzexyznqdi

doc
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I have reindexed about 100,000 posts now. Search should be producing much better results, at least for common queries.

doc
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

We've run into a glitch with the upgrade that will take a little time to fix. Simply put, all the posts have to be "reindexed" so they become searchable under the new system. Unfortunately, since we don't pay for a dedicated server, this is a long and drawn out process. I'm working on it as fast as I am able.

Here's how it may impact you. At 5 minutes before the hour, i start the reindex function. I can only let it run until the hour - just 5 minutes - or it will shut down the board for the next hour. Usually my timing is pretty good and members will not even know it is happening. But there are several variables i can't control and sometimes the board will become unresponsive for the last one or two minutes before the hour. If this occurs and you try to post or search or log on, you will receive a general error message. Bummer!

If you are not logged on, just wait a minute or two and try again. All should be normal. If you are logged on, just click back in your browser and try again in a minute or two. Again, all should be normal. There is seldom a need to relog in. Just wait a minute and go on.

I apologize for this inconvenience. The prize is after a few weeks the search function should work better than ever. This issue could be avoided by changing over to a dedicated server, but the price is 5 times as much as what we pay now and since member contributions now pay for STF, cheaper seems better. The shared server we are on now is doing very well for the boards regular functions. It is just this once in a blue moon things that causes a small convenience. I beg your forbearance. It'll be fixed soon.

Thanks,

doc
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

The Google searches work awesome. Can you just put that up by the donation button :mrgreen:
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Try the link in my post above. Makes it even easier.

doc
Sigurd

Post by Sigurd »

I haven't tried the Google search yet, but an STF search for 'w120 compression' with all terms ignores it because it deems 'compression' too common. Is this still a bug in the search feature?