CLKWRKS Upright Conversion

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
NextGen

Re: CLKWRKS Upright Conversion

Post by NextGen »

Hi Clkwrks, a few posts back I read you used the 90 c thermo and it did the trick. Exactly what I found. My car would not warm up. Run it a while before put back the T-1 oil cooler, or maybe you did it already. Been a while.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

I am still running the T4 oil cooler, I was going to wait until the turbo is on there and drive it for a bit, then decide if it is needed.
I think it will not be needed as there is 72 pass mesa aux oil stat/fan/cooler up in front in the ghia's nose 911 style.

Since my shroud is already modified for the T4 oil cooler, I will just make a plug to space the difference if I decide to use a T1 cooler.
My turbo T1 uses a T4 oil cooler and it does make a difference in oil temp.
The header is almost done, needs a wastegate and a driver side heater box
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Worked on the driver side last weekend, next I need to build a heaterbox around the pipes and ducts to blow air.
Also hang the muffler and weld in the o2 sensor bung
Erikie

Post by Erikie »

Hi Clkwrk,

Imhave a question about your T4 oilcooler. I have a similar setup but my issue is that the connection between the cooler and adapter is leaking oil. Did you use something special to have this connection oil tight?

Best regards, Erik
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Clkwrk--

Inspirational build! I'm an utter novice to T4s (Pile is helping me out via messaging...I'm far too novice for the general population), but seeing all the work you've done gives me hope. I too read Joe's book back to back several times but was thinking I would buy housings, et al, however, seeing it done makes me think I can tackle it (probably will still buy the alt stand).

Great work!
johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

I also had an initial sealing problem with the oil cooler, in my case the cooler had a bump between the ports that was spacing it up and not letting the seals crush properly, it leaked all over the place on my first start up.
I took it apart and hammered this raised area down aenough to get the seals to crush, no issues since then.
H2OSB, like many here I think the T4 conversion is worth the trouble, I also enjoy the "arts and crafts" fabrication part too.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I don't really have anything to add,
Just that I really really like this build and look forward to seeing what's next!
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

I am trying to get everything done for mid June as I have a local VW show I wan to go to.
Today I worked on the intake pipe and oil feed for the turbo
Erikie

Post by Erikie »

About the oilcooler, thx for your Explanation. I took out the aftermarket cooler and replaced it with an old original cooler with new gaskets. Until now, no oil under the car. I did not have the issue with the bump, the adaptorplate is not even touching this bump.

Regards, Erik
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Today I had it running, chased a few bugs like oil and exhaust leaks. Its not making gobs of boost at the moment, I think I need a smaller turbo.
I had to rework some of the intake tubing as it was sitting too high and stressing out my rain tray, everything fits nice now, meth injection is tested and working too.
Next the area around the pulley needs to be closed off to prevent hot air recirculation
Last edited by CLKWRK on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

sealed up the tin area around the pulley today and changed to the smaller turbo, its a Garrett T25 .42/.48
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Had it out in the rain today, the power comes on pretty smooth, over all its very civilized and quieter than when it was NA. The only thing that I have to watch the rear wheel around 5500 rpm as it tries to break loose, I feel that this will be less of a problem when I install my thing LSD diff and new tires. I also had to back off the timing when boost kicks in, I retarded it about 18 deg

I scraped the header once as it bounced after driving over a construction drop in the road, I knew it would happen as the whole thing sits pretty low, I may rework the whole header and bring it up, for now I will be adding some bus snubbers to suppress the bounce.

I think he 108LC Scat C35 cam is a boost vampire, this winter I will definitely give it a cam change and some 94mm dished Mahle P&C, maybe something like a Web 119, 112LC. Also I hear an exhaust leak somewhere around the 3/4 side (also a boost vampire), so I will be pulling that side apart to check it.

Update: pulled it apart, found the leak, welded it up ... its happy now
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Presently I have a remote 72 plate oil cooler with a thermostat and a type 4 oil cooler on this engine.

I had it out for a fairly long drive last weekend and it was a hot day too, the oil temp did not go over 85C (185F). Usually my goal is to have the oil be at least 90C (194F) so I feel its a bit low. I wonder if it is worth it to switch back to the type 1 oil cooler to get that temp a bit higher
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

did some tuning on the weekend, initially this engine was not set up for turbo and the program was made on the dyno while NA. Post turbo install there was some ping at high rpm, so I brought the timing back and it went away but it lacked power.

This weekend I revisited this issue and I brought the timing back but gave it more fuel + meth ... then it woke up! Boost is up, no ping and it pulls beyond 5500rpm :)
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

here is an update, first time ever I drove my ghia all summer, no issues at all ... lots of burnouts and I drove it hard. She is still good, not even a drip of oil, its getting chilly now so I have had the gas heater on a couple of times, but the light weight 412 heater boxes are usually enough.
This winter I am going to pull the engine and tear it down for inspection, new P&C and a cam change (Male bus pistons, web 119 112 LC). I have been sitting on a thing LSD diff that will get installed too when its all apart