Heat in a bug with a Type IV Engine

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Gnasha

Re: Heat in a bug with a Type IV Engine

Post by Gnasha »

I'm seriously collecting the required parts for a Joe Cali conversion of a T4 2.0 engine into a KG. I have everything needed to convert the upper half of the engine tinware deep fan pulley and stand etc. However, Im looking at the space available for under the engine for the original heater exchangers (we need heat in the UK) , the engine is a CJ code 75-79 twin carb. Doing some rough measurments its looks tight on outer side of the heat Ex's.
Q1 will the original HEx's fit with out fouling body work or suspension?
Q2 Are the 411 412 HEx's only alternative?

Thanks for reading this.
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Perhaps my ghia t4 build might give you some ideas :
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... k#p1183759

- ghia
- type 4 cali
- gas heater
- heater boxes
- turbo

I need heat too, I am in Canada

Q1 - I cut my heater boxes and they fit better, but if you dont cut them it will still fit but your muffler will probably protrude beyond your rear bumper ... kinda ugly that's all
Q2 - 411 boxes are not the only alternative, you could use the heavier bus ones but IMO the 411 (lightweight ) style are the better ones. The bus heavy weight boxes put out an insane amount of heat, way more that a ghia will ever need, its overkill and I have no heat deficiency with the more compact 411 boxes
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

CLKWRK wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:20 am Perhaps my ghia t4 build might give you some ideas :
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... k#p1183759

- ghia
- type 4 cali
- gas heater
- heater boxes
- turbo

I need heat too, I am in Canada

Q1 - I cut my heater boxes and they fit better, but if you dont cut them it will still fit but your muffler will probably protrude beyond your rear bumper ... kinda ugly that's all
Q2 - 411 boxes are not the only alternative, you could use the heavier bus ones but IMO the 411 (lightweight ) style are the better ones. The bus heavy weight boxes put out an insane amount of heat, way more that a ghia will ever need, its overkill and I have no heat deficiency with the more compact 411 boxes
Thank you so much for your respose. I must have read this post at least 5 times and I have every photo you have taken. Do you have any detailed photos of your mods to the HEx's thanks again.
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

I will add some pics later

Here are some ghia specific issues I had:
- I used this muffler: http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.159/.f
it did not clear my rear apron (the kind without peashooter cutouts). I had to mount the muffler upside down to get it to clear. The peashooter reinforcement gussets on the muffler had to be removed.
- This muffler is loud and was a big motivator for adding the turbo (my neighbors hated me), now its is much quieter
- this muffler has o2 sensor bungs in it that are angled wrong for my ghia, probably because I mounted it upside down. I had to cut it out and re weld in a new bung that was angled right to clear the apron
- the outlet pipes for the heater box (going to the cabin) were difficult to set up and were made up of a mix of t1 and bus heater box parts. Lots of trial and error here, and to make things more complex/crowded I have a kafer cup brace under there too
- when I added the turbo I was only able to use the pass side heater box from my NA setup, the DS heater box had to be made from scratch, I still have to enclose the tubes and make the ducts for it (this spring)
- I have one shortened box out of the car and will post some measurements of how much I had to shorten it, I also have a stock one for comparison
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

CLKWRK wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 am I will add some pics later

Here are some ghia specific issues I had:
- I used this muffler: http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.159/.f
it did not clear my rear apron (the kind without peashooter cutouts). I had to mount the muffler upside down to get it to clear. The peashooter reinforcement gussets on the muffler had to be removed.
- This muffler is loud and was a big motivator for adding the turbo (my neighbors hated me), now its is much quieter
- this muffler has o2 sensor bungs in it that are angled wrong for my ghia, probably because I mounted it upside down. I had to cut it out and re weld in a new bung that was angled right to clear the apron
- the outlet pipes for the heater box (going to the cabin) were difficult to set up and were made up of a mix of t1 and bus heater box parts. Lots of trial and error here, and to make things more complex/crowded I have a kafer cup brace under there too
- when I added the turbo I was only able to use the pass side heater box from my NA setup, the DS heater box had to be made from scratch, I still have to enclose the tubes and make the ducts for it (this spring)
- I have one shortened box out of the car and will post some measurements of how much I had to shorten it, I also have a stock one for comparison
Wow, I wish I had half your knowledge. Excuse my ignorance, "whats NA set up" and "DS heater box" Did you make these mods just because of the turbo, or was it the type 4 heat Ex's required alteration purely for space restrictions in the confines of a Ghia?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

NA=normally aspirated
DS=I'll guess typo for right side heater box, as "R" is adjacent to "D" on a US keyboard at least.
I read it that way in any case.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Piledriver wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:54 am NA=normally aspirated
DS=I'll guess typo for right side heater box, as "R" is adjacent to "D" on a US keyboard at least.
I read it that way in any case.
Thank you, I would never have associated or considered the D vs R possibility, I suppose its an age thing at thois end.
CLKWRK

Post by CLKWRK »

Thanks, but I diddnt know any of this stuff before I set out to do this, I did make a few mistakes along the way.
For example, my turbo sits too low and I think it should be higher by at least 1/2" to drain properly and give more ground clearance (it is 5 1/2" from the bottom of the header to the ground). A header rework is in the future to remedy this, for now there is an oil restrictor on the oil feed to the turbo

Sorry, I meant Drivers Side on a US spec car (DS) and yes NA is naturally aspirated
I had to make some changes to the driver side because the tubo is crammed in there in the same space as where the heater box outlet would be, so the new fabricated heater box sort of snakes around the turbo
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Note: Those are the 411/412 HX, they flow ok, but have no internal fins, preheaters really, but can probably defrost your windshield.

411/412s all had a gas heater over the transmission those fed.

A 914 slightly tweaked Bursch (or Sebring) header will fit on a Ghia on uncut t4 heat exchangers, cant recall who did that.
The full HX probably limit you to around 110 HP or therabouts.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Piledriver wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:46 am Note: Those are the 411/412 HX, they flow ok, but have no internal fins, preheaters really, but can probably defrost your windshield.

411/412s all had a gas heater over the transmission those fed.

A 914 slightly tweaked Bursch (or Sebring) header will fit on a Ghia on uncut t4 heat exchangers, cant recall who did that.
The full HX probably limit you to around 110 HP or therabouts.
Thank you ill do some more searching