Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content Except In The Background

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Type 4 Unleashed

Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content Except In The Background

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

I consolidated all of my storage units, which this was one of the items stored. Here are the specs:
1967 XR7 GT Mercury Cougar
428 SCJ Heads
Cam: Old Greg Foreman-Gus Davis Grind .612" lift, Dur 312*[email protected]
Headers: Hooker 2 1/8" Primary 3 1/2" collector
Rear End: Locker 4:57 Gears
Trans: Built C-6 3,500 Stall
I parked it because of a rod nock, and was collecting pieces to put my 427 side oiler together, it kind of got neglected... :roll:
And it rarely uses jack stands.

Here's the 2 1/8" Hooker Headers
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
NextGen

Re: Long Neglected Project

Post by NextGen »

My friend had one new back in 67, also loved the interior.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
Type 4 Unleashed

The block is finished, I installed ARP main studs and had it aligned honed, then decked and squared, then honed out to a 4.250"-107.950mm bore.

I just got the crank back, it was stroke indexed, mains had oil grooves that I had welded up then ground to size, then the leading edges of the counterweights were Bullnosed & the Trailing edges were Knife Edged, then it was sent out to be Nitrided.

Some history on these type of cranks, From what I was able to find out, this crank (C4AE 6303 G) came in the 64 427 HR and in the TBolts and is listed in the 427 7000 RPM Kits. Also these cranks were intended to be used in SOHC Nascar program, 2 additional counter weights were welded on off the center main to help the SOHC blocks from cracking around the center main from the RPM's they were running at, but the SOHC motors were banned from Nascar before they were even ran, so there are only a few of these cranks made. I added the attachments to get a better look at the crank.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

EMW

BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

I am 3 shades of green beyond jealous.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Awesome.

Planning on using the Endyn pistons to go with 429 heads? :twisted:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I always liked the Cougar best of the pony cars. Cool project!

doc
Type 4 Unleashed

Piledriver wrote:Awesome.

Planning on using the Endyn pistons to go with 429 heads? :twisted:
No, I am pretty much staying close to original, except for going FE style Aluminum Heads. I am using my Factory Sidewinder manifold even though it's 45 year old Tech. There are newer manifold designs out now like several different single plane manifolds and also newer design dual planes, all that can produce any where's from a 10hp increase to 50hp increase from $300 to $500, but I will be more than happy with just a measly 500hp, I had problems hooking the car up with a 390, so a 427 with at least 150 more horses won't be any better.

There was a guy who did an Intake Comparison for the BB Ford FE motors with about fifty different manifolds, on four different size Dyno motors, the attachment is just one of the motors with some of the different manifolds dynode.
img040.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

EMW

scvw

Post by scvw »

Been a long while..then i get on and see this ! A trip down memory lane ! I use to drive a 67 Cougar for a few years. Loved that car !
Type 4 Unleashed

SCVW Welcome to ShopTalkForums

The last time I drove this car was in 1983, at a make shift Drag Strip organized by Big Willie in Terminal Island, he had made arrangements with some shipping companies to use their terminals.

I have to finish this long neglected project before I go back to my Type lV's.

For now I want to get the short block completed, so I can save up for the last piece's the heads, which will take some time to save up for. So in the mean time, I bought an abandoned 390 short block project, fresh .040" over, new pistons , rings & bearings, and it even had ARP main studs that I put in the 427.
So I am going to throw it together with the heads & manifold off my old 390, to drive while I save for my heads.
Richard

EMW

scvw

Post by scvw »

Years ago I heard tell of a true GTX Cougar less than 5 miles from where I was staying.
After much searching I found it way back in the woods, under a shed, I asked the owner if I could look at it and he replied I could look all I wanted if I had 20 grand ! soon after that the car disappeared.
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content

I had to save a long time for this big ticket item.
I've had these items finally show up at my door. Heads are the NHRA legal casting CNCed Edelbrock Pro Ports, with stock location exh. Shock Towers made it necessary to go with stock location exh, due to how tight the 2 1/8" adjustable headers were, I couldn't take the chance with having the headers re-flanged for a relocated exh port, then dealing with fitment issues.

Then I had my "J" Sidewinder matched ported

Flow numbers @ .600" lift cam: 330 Int & 232 exh with no pipe.

Intake valve 2.200 BP spec Ferrea
Exh. valve 1.650 BP spec Ferrea

There's this guy on one of the Ford Forums that has a program that from engine and car spec's, allows the program with a fair degree of accuracy
to determine an engines Torque & HP and how the car would run in the 1/8 & 1/4 mile, including a 60 ft.

Spec's: 67 Cougar, C6 3500 stall, 4:57 locker
427 @ 429 ci. flat tops @ 10.5 CR with Pro Ports, matched ported Sidewinder with an 850 Holley
Crower cam: 604/618 lift & 263/272 @ .050", with 108 LS - 104 IC
Exhaust 2 1/8 adjustable Hookers

Engine & Car Ratings:
427 car
Torq 560 at 4600
Powr 594 at 6100
7.18 at 96.7
11.22 at 121.1

Close to 600 hp on paper, but I was figuring on around 500 to 550 hp compared to comparable builds that have been dynode.

Richard

EMW

Wally

Post by Wally »

Cool car/project!
Type 4 Unleashed

I couldn't help myself, I did an induction upgrade: I picked up this Holley 1050 CFM 3-Barrel, NOS Old School.

Richard

EMW

Type 4 Unleashed

I had previously sent out my Sidewinder to be match ported, when I got it back, I was very disappointed on how it turned out, so I just shelved it. Eight months later, I pull the manifold down and sent it out to get welded, and then get in touch with Joe D. Craine, to make a long story short the manifold recently showed, it will make a substantial improvement on my heads now.

These just showed, vacuum formed covers, so I did a quick mock up, looks to be plenty of room, Harland Sharp steel end stands, Aluminum spacers, Cast Iron inner factory stands, Crane Cams 1.76 Ductile Iron Adjustable Rocker Arms with upgraded 7/16" 12 point ARP nuts, replacing the heavier original 5/8' 6 point nuts. Now, I will have to sit down, and shim all the rockers centered on the valves.

Richard

EMW

doc
Site Admin

Re: Long Neglected Project No Type lV Content Except In The Background

Post by doc »

Stupid cool, Richard!