Electromans Type 4 conversion

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Electroman

Re: Electromans Type 4 conversion

Post by Electroman »

Small update. Managed to get the tunnel closed up and the shifter finished and installed. It seems to shift pretty good, but hard to tell though just sitting in the driveway.
IMG_0522.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg
IMG_0560.jpeg
EDIT: Trying to get all of these pictures back after losing photobucket.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Electroman on Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Taitt

1967 Beetle w/ type 4 conversion in progress
Electroman

Post by Electroman »

Figured this was due for an update. I'm still working on the pulley setup for the corsair fan, been slow going as I have had to redesign a few parts along the way. Also finally picked up a TIG welder so I have been spending some time learning that as well. Not much more to say so pictures as usual.
IMG_0626.jpeg
IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0674.jpeg
IMG_1752.jpeg
IMG_1753.jpeg
IMG_1756.jpeg
IMG_1761.jpeg
IMG_1757.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg
IMG_1746.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Electroman on Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Taitt

Electroman

Post by Electroman »

Something I'm still tossing around in my head is the idler pulley. I figure I can do it one of two ways, either a stationary pulley like a factory Corvair. which does work but can cause issues with the belt throwing if not adjusted correctly but does have the advantage that the pulleys will stay aligned at all times. the other method would be a spring loaded Idler. this would compensate for any fluctuations in belt tension which should keep the belt on at all times, but to compensate for the belt tension fluctuations the pulley will move which will cause slight miss alignments in the pulleys as it moves. I may be overthinking things again but in my mind I would think you want the pulleys to stay in as close to perfect alignment at all times, especially in a 90 degree drive like this. I'm going to keep trying to find some study or something online but in the mean time anybody have any opinions?
Joshua Taitt

CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

I looked through this thread and all the pics are gone. Did you get this working?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Photobucket eliminated most of their free accounts, so most pics here vanished.

Electroman has not visited us since nov 2017, so don't hold your breath.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Electroman

Post by Electroman »

Im still alive guys. allot has changed in the past 5 years... I changed careers moves all the way across the country and the car... well the car is exactly as it was 5 years ago.

Now that things are settling down a-bit I plan on getting back to this project and actually get my car back on the road. It's going to be slow going but hopefully Ill start making some progress again soon.
Joshua Taitt

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I just got another notification from Photobucket wanting $$$. I am not positive but several years ago a lot of my pix on my computer either vanished or had Photobucket placed on them. I don't use them anymore because of the BS that went on back then.

Lee
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Exactly the reason I pay for my own web site. I've got the suspension, 4w disk brakes, interior, new gauges done before I took a long break. Hoping to get a nice big turbo T4 built for this summer and the 50yr. celebration in Cokato Mn.
http://www.laser917.us
Electroman

Post by Electroman »

Time for an update.

In the last 5 years allot has changed. Wife and I left southern California and moved to the Treasure Coast of Florida. I left my career in the Home appliance industry working for Bosch and fell back on my ability to build stuff. Now I get to build these all day at work.
IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2704.jpeg
IMG_3357.jpeg
I can confidently say Airplanes are much more fun to work on than dishwashers. :roll:

After towing my car 3000 miles it has spent the last 5 years here.
IMG_2356 2.jpeg
It has now been moved into my garage so I can Finally get back to work. Unfortunately I have even less free time than I did in California but I should be able to get things done here and there.

With all of that said let me update everyone on where this project stands and my plans for it as I move forward. basically nothing has changed since the last update. Shortly after that post I packed up my life and moved.

In the last 5 years though I have had lots of time to think about what I plan to do going forward. The basic plan for My car hasn't really changed THAT much, ok maybe a-little. Cosmetically I will be staying in the German look category leaning a bit more words the race prep end of it. How far I take that depends of a few decisions I still have to make. More on that later.

As far as the engine I built back in California it will not be the final engine I will be installing. I will be tearing that down in the future and rebuilding it one of two ways (yet to be decided). I will be among for more like 150 - 200 HP instead of the 100 Hp I was going for before.

But before I continue with that I need to get back to the car itself. I have a-lot of work left to do/redo on the suspension, brakes, chassis, etc.

Hopefully this next month I will be pulling the front beam from the car and rebuilding it. Still not sure what I'm planning brake wise. Either stick with the Ghia disks I have up front now or upgrading to say 944T brakes. Need to make a decision there.

Anyway I'll there it there for now. need to make some decisions before I tear into things.
Joshua Taitt