capabilities of stock t4 cooling

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
streetstroker1

capabilities of stock t4 cooling

Post by streetstroker1 »

Hi,

What are the capabilities of the stock T4 cooling regarding CHT?

planning on building an engine for my baywindow with a powerband between 1500-5500rpm

i have a 1700cc wich will be equipped with efi (ms, first time) and after i got some experience with the efi, i am planning on adding a turbo ( i have a T3 & holset hx30w & hx40w (way to big))

But also i am thinking of stepping up and build a 2270cc (turbo)

So somebody got experience with bigger type 4's and/or turbo and stock cooling?
aircooledtechguy

Re: capabilities of stock t4 cooling

Post by aircooledtechguy »

I have never built an engine that could not be cooled by the stock pancake cooling system. As with any air-cooled system, ALL cooling tins/parts must fit properly and be in place.

Where people get into cooling problems is how they build the motor and the combination of parts it's built with. A poorly designed engine combination will result in tuning problems a hot running engine even if it's cooled by an arctic hurricane.

Concentrate on the engine design and the cooling will not be an issue.
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

Sorry for an old thread resurrection.

Stock pancake cooling system would be good for a stroked / turbo engine also? I read from somewhere (most likely this forum?) that pancake distributes air evenly to (40%) to each side.

If I don't have to convert to Cali / upright cooling system due to space limitations, there is no cooling benefits in doing so?

So keep stock if I can even with a bigger engine?
dawie

Post by dawie »

The DTM and Cali conversions cools no better than standard flat type 4 fan setup. Even Jake, who sold the DTM, admitted that in a post somewhere.
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

dawie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:53 am The DTM and Cali conversions cools no better than standard flat type 4 fan setup. Even Jake, who sold the DTM, admitted that in a post somewhere.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep the stock cooling as there is no need for me to convert the cooling system.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

dawie wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:53 am The DTM and Cali conversions cools no better than standard flat type 4 fan setup. Even Jake, who sold the DTM, admitted that in a post somewhere.

Not quite true.

Cooling air volume and static pressure...that is quite true and what Jake noted.

Cooling air balance and delivery....the DTM equalizes the cooling air flow better than the stock type 4 pancake cooling setup. The 3/4 side has upwards to 30% less cooling air in certain spots at certain rpms. Some of the testing I played with years ago also showed this. I think Jake noted that its partly due to how the actual cooling plenum is divided and also partly to the volume under the sheet metal difference from side to side and static air pressure loading up toward the rear of the 3/4 sheet metal...causing turbulence and air blockage.

This does not mean the stock system does not work well within the stock engine realm...just that its not perfect and is hard to expand for larger engines without some deficiency. Ray
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

OK so now I'm slightly puzzled :)

One says that stock cooling is good for stock application, and the other says stock cooling is good for non-stock applications as well?

Naturally parts selection plays a pivotal role but assuming that one builds a thick wall, iron cylindered stroker engine with a stock system including all tin I should be good or should I expect problems? I forgot to mention that I will use E85 so that should help cooling quite a bit also.

I will make a cali conversion if I need and there's a clear benefit in doing so, but if I don't have to I'd rather not spend the time for the conversion if it is not needed.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

The stock cooling system is hands down the best ever made. Depending on how you run your heating/defrosting system the last of the air cooled (wedge van) blower shrouds may have a slight advantage.
The big advantage of the Cali or DTM is packaging. Nobody that I know of in the 914/912E world of racing has bothered fitting either.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

Thanks sideshow.

Now this is loud and clear. I'll keep the stock cooling.