Cheap Junk 1971 Build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
oprn

Re: Cheap Junk 1971 Build

Post by oprn »

In the hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oprn

Post by oprn »

Getting closer to done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oprn

Post by oprn »

Now for a spot to pick up the oil pressure. Can't tee into where the pressure switch goes as it would be in the way if the distributor so down on the rear where we plugged the galleries. Hard pipe it out to where we can deal with it.
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

Great progress. Loving the new pipe work, neat and tidy job, and soooo shiny :)
oprn

Post by oprn »

Thanks! Stainless steel, someone dumped a whole crap load of 1/4" ss tube fittings on us at work. The boss threw most of them out at inventory in January but I saved a few for just this sort of thing!
Gnasha

Post by Gnasha »

oprn wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:22 am Thanks! Stainless steel, someone dumped a whole crap load of 1/4" ss tube fittings on us at work. The boss threw most of them out at inventory in January but I saved a few for just this sort of thing!
I'm also a hoarder and a saver from the local skips at work. So much stuff I don't have enough room for the, "that may come in handy" pieces i see at work. :roll:
oprn

Post by oprn »

I hear ya load and clear! Handy at times though, I have salvaged 5 temp indicators with discreet set-able contacts to use for alarms, each have 2 channels and will work on 12 volts. I will be using 2 of them in the Buggy. Now I have an acceleration transmitter and 3 different indicators that are compatible with it and work on 12 volts. This I hope to use as a detonation indicator. I have various lengths of lighter gauge 4 wire Belden cable, thermocouple wire, thermocouples and RTDs to hook it all up, all salvaged from upgrades and headed for the trash!

Can't get in my garage anymore! That's the downside...
oprn

Post by oprn »

Finally found my pulley for the thermostat but can't find the bolt... now that I think of it though it may not have had a proper bolt in it. I do recall the pulley being very loose and there appears to be no wear on the bushing.

Looks like a lathe job coming up.
oprn

Post by oprn »

I was needing some place to mount my fuel pressure regulator and to bring the two choke cables from the carbs to so that they can be operated by a single pull cable from the driver's seat. This is the solution I came up with, a flat plate bolted onto the stock air cleaner support brackets. Regulator goes underneath and gives me a nice flat spot to start building the choke mechanism.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Nice!
oprn

Post by oprn »

First prototype of the choke linkage using bicycle cables for the carb side and a lawn mower throttle cable for the driver's side. Just need to engineer a spring clip to keep the two bike cables from popping out sideways.
oprn

Post by oprn »

Here is the conclusion of my attempt at a choke cable solution.
oprn

Post by oprn »

I posted the wrong picture of the center splitter, no clip so this is the one with the clip.
oprn

Post by oprn »

Took the Buggy for one last rip then out with the old!
oprn

Post by oprn »

New engine is in and had a couple start ups a minute or so long. Lots of oil leaks, about 1/2 the push rod tubes are dripping a bit on the outer ends. Is this common? My flywheel seal is leaking a bit too but I am not too surprised as the flywheel itself had a bit of a wear mark where the seal runs.