Timing a cam gear to a camshaft

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Greggyboy

Timing a cam gear to a camshaft

Post by Greggyboy »

I have a webcam and an aluminum gear I am installing. The cam gear is attached by 5 bolts. I have a one in five chance of guessing it right. What is the right way to attach the two? I currently have a case opened, crank and dizzy installed and aligned correctly. I am aware of the timing dot on the cam gear, it is the cam shaft I am not sure of.

As a backup I could split a junkyard case and pull it's cam but I am not in the mood for the labor and mess. I would much rather finish assembling my current motor.

I am following Tom Wilson's book and it only talks of stock, riveted cam gears, and to not separate the cam from the gear.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Marc

Re: Timing a cam gear to a camshaft

Post by Marc »

Only one of the five choices will place the oil pump drive slot pointed towards the timing mark on the gear...that's the one you're after.
http://www.ronleclerc.net/photos/engine ... m-gear.jpg
Greggyboy

Post by Greggyboy »

Ah so the oil pump slot lines up with the "dot"? Perfect. It would have been my guess since everything else aligns with the case seam. It's my first build. Thank you so much Marc.
Marc

Post by Marc »

That's how the raw billets are machined, the slot becomes the primary reference point for indexing the shaft when the lobes are ground. Type Is are the same way, but they only have three bolts.
Greggyboy

Post by Greggyboy »

Marc wrote:That's how the raw billets are machined, the slot becomes the primary reference point for indexing the shaft when the lobes are ground. Type Is are the same way, but they only have three bolts.
The more you know...
Thanks again Marc.