Will my Type 1 motor fit back into T4 converted tranny?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
saggs

Will my Type 1 motor fit back into T4 converted tranny?

Post by saggs »

I'm doing a rebuild on my T4 motor this winter and need to put my old 1600 T1 motor back into my bug to get it to the storage barn. I have one of Jake's converted swing axle trannys w/ the different T/O bearing and seal cone. Will this be a slide in and go or do I need to change the T/O bearing etc..?
Thanks
sideshow

Re: Will my Type 1 motor fit back into T4 converted tranny?

Post by sideshow »

Use the late beetle clutch cover, that is what the kit expects
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Marc

Post by Marc »

...and some early covers will function with the late TOB after you remove the center ring - just make sure that the "fingers" are going to clear the guide tube before you bolt it to the engine.
saggs

Post by saggs »

Is the clutch cover you're referring to the pressure plate? I guess I'll have to compare the two. Can I buy this "clutch cover" separately.
Marc

Post by Marc »

"Clutch cover" = "Pressure Plate", yes.

The `71-up 200mm Type I cover goes by P/N 311 141 025C if you need to purchase a new one, but it shouldn't be difficult to find someone who has a used one good enough for your purposes. Most look like this: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqJ,!rgFIR(oK(RLBSKJoy5M(Q~~_35.JPG?set_id=89040003C1
But the early ones look like this: http://shop.avala.biz/images/1701036.JPG

You will need a pilot shaft to keep the clutch disc centered while you change the cover - without doing that, it'll most likely be difficult to impossible to install the engine.

Do you have a cover like this one around? https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... K2BQaSjATX

All you need do is put it flat on the ground and step on the center to compress it while you (or an assistant) use a screwdriver to lift the wire bales off of two of the wings on the center ring...it'll slip out of the third one easily after that. The bales must remain to keep the levers from flopping about.

We're assuming that the flywheel on your 1600 is a 12V (130 starter teeth) with a 200mm cover. If it somehow has a 109-tooth and/or a 180mm cover things get a bit more complicated...
saggs

Post by saggs »

I have the third pic you showed on my T1 motor now- 200mm. So it looks like I just need to remove the center disc/bearing and let my present late style T/O bearing ride against the 3 arms? Thanks for the detailed response Marc.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yes, but it can be difficult to get the ring off without mangling the bales if the cover isn't compressed. If you can manage it with the cover bolted to the engine, great - but if it looks like you'll be ruining the bales take it off and do it on the floor as described above.
saggs

Post by saggs »

Mine popped off w/o any force and I'm left with the 3 arms and the bales still attached. Is this a temporary conversion or could I put many miles on it like this? I really only need to drive it 6 miles. Thanks
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Its usable like that indefinitely, and save the ring incase you need to turn in back into an early cover.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.