cost of type 4 parts

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
emerald

Re: cost of type 4 parts

Post by emerald »

A1 was not the only one we called so it is not all on him we called shop all over the place in the UK and the USA and Europe and the price was high all over .It must just be a type 4 thing any way i would do this if there was more call for it but i would only do this if i have the car
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

What kills me is a stainless anything costs ~2x what mild steel runs.

The labor is the vast majority of the cost, and the fab is the same, materials accounts for maybe a 10% price bump at most.
Stainless is ~no harder to TIG weld than mild steel, at least if you have it fitted properly.
(its "different" but really not any more difficult)

Use the right rod (347) and it is far less likely to crack, even 304.

Some "reputable" places charge hugely inflated prices for SS vs. mild steel bends, but other quite reputable places don't--- I don't get the apparent price gouging, perhaps is passing through more layers of markup?
(example: Burns vs. Megs)

You can also TIG "braze" with silicon bronze rod, have personally only played with it but that would make the welds very unlikely to crack. Lap joints would probably be more ideal for that process, which would add some cost/complexity.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
emerald

Post by emerald »

i am with you all the way on this .We did this just to see what it would cost with parts we had in the shop and we come up with $800 out the door all in stainless what am i missing here ??
emerald

Post by emerald »

we had some more time to play with the typee 4 project and it is now running and we are happy with it right now we will post a vid soon
emerald

Post by emerald »

here is a quick sound bite of the stainless exhaust on the type 4 and this is what we come up with .some time this weed we might get it on the Dyno to tune it up with Emerald K6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qAO2xc9HY
emerald

Post by emerald »

the project has gone home 2.0 stock engine made 96hp with 112 torque but it feels like a lot more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNeYWtF82s