The Lost Art of the Sharpbuilt Shroud

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
thundercow

The Lost Art of the Sharpbuilt Shroud

Post by thundercow »

My 2004 Type IV Porsche 550 replica with a 2316cc motor cools really well with my Sharpbuilt Shroud, but the shroud is 12 years old and cracking apart. I have ordered a new one and will replace my old and cracking one, pictured below.

There are great posts on here about the Sharpbuilt Shroud--but the posts are old and nearly every installation picture has expired. Do any members have any pictures of the fitting and install of the Sharpbuilt shroud?

"The Imposter" 1955 Vintage 550 (30% 914, 30% 60s Beetle) | 2012 Carrera S | 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata | 1990 Spec Miata
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: The Lost Art of the Sharpbuilt Shroud

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you drill the ends of the cracks then weld them up you might be able to keep it as a good backup piece.
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

I Mike still around have not talked to him in years. He gave me great research info for my manual, by snail mail before the internet. I will look and see what I have.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
wreck

Post by wreck »

use thin card to make templates for the intake port cut outs from your old shroud and transfer it to the new shroud , you can use the parts that go down beside the cylinders as guides for where to drill the holes in the main shroud .http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=18235
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
thundercow

Post by thundercow »

Joe, he is indeed around. I got your book by the way I think from aircooled-dot-net. Very helpful.
NextGen wrote:I Mike still around have not talked to him in years. He gave me great research info for my manual, by snail mail before the internet. I will look and see what I have.
"The Imposter" 1955 Vintage 550 (30% 914, 30% 60s Beetle) | 2012 Carrera S | 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata | 1990 Spec Miata
thundercow

Post by thundercow »

Guys, please tell me I can install my new shroud without pulling my motor...
damo99

Post by damo99 »

thundercow wrote:Guys, please tell me I can install my new shroud without pulling my motor...
depends how much room you have above the shroud , also witch shroud are you using from mike .
have you got the porsche style or the VW 36horse style .if you have the VW style
in a beetle or split bus you have to drop the motor ,don't know about the porsche shroud
thundercow

Post by thundercow »

911 style. I can't imagine having better access than this--the entire rear of the car swings up out of the way:

Of course, I don't want to scratch the heck out of it putting the shroud in and out while fitting it.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Should not be an issue .I remove mine in a Split window ,with out a hatch , not a fun job for me but should be easy enough in a Spyder ,the Fan/alternator assembly looks like it is under the body slightly , I'd loosen it first,move it forward enough to clear the shroud then you should be able to remove the shroud straight up .

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=18236
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No matter where you go , there you are !
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

I always liked the fact Mike Sharp figured how to keep the stock cooler in the stock location.

Never saw anyone else do that.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
creber1951

Post by creber1951 »

NextGen wrote:I always liked the fact Mike Sharp figured how to keep the stock cooler in the stock location.

I have one of his on my 2733,but the thing always ran super hot oil temps with the cooler in the stock location.I used a sandwich plate under the filter, with an inbuilt thermostat, and mounted a stock Type4 cooler on a 25mm ally block behind the LHR wheel.I made a shroud to go round the cooler and piped air to it from a modified Bus rear heater fan-works real good now.
creber1951

Post by creber1951 »

creber1951 wrote:
NextGen wrote:I always liked the fact Mike Sharp figured how to keep the stock cooler in the stock location.

I have one of his on my 2733,but the thing always ran super hot oil temps with the cooler in the stock location.I used a sandwich plate under the filter, with an inbuilt thermostat, and mounted a stock Type4 cooler on a 25mm ally block behind the LHR wheel.I made a shroud to go round the cooler and piped air to it from a modified Bus rear heater fan-works real good now.The fan is controlled by the ECU.
bj

Post by bj »

interesting fix/mod.

BJ