Custom fan Shroud .

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
wreck

Re: Custom fan Shroud .

Post by wreck »

A bit of early testing , a bit more flow at the moment on the 3/4 side . so I'll trim back the vane dividing the 1/2 side and let more flow that way . The speed is in mph . happy so far with the results as I was worried the 3/4 side would not have as much flow as 1/2 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQgTDlprBlA&t=47s
No matter where you go , there you are !
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool.
Keep the ability to add movable vanes, the flow balance is liable to change greatly with the restriction of a motor underneath.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
wreck

Post by wreck »

I'll play a bit more with it to even the flow, then put it on a dummy engine I have and check the flow around and through the heads and cylinders . I'll measure the pressure from side to side as well .
mactaylor

Post by mactaylor »

Hey mate hows the progress on this?
wreck

Post by wreck »

I 'd a few issues getting the fan speed I wanted with the RC brushless set up but am happy with the flow to both heads . I'm in the process of building a 2.6 to trail it on .
The engine is going in a 69Ghia ,I've been busy fitting a 091 box with Erco type 1 conversion housing, I didn't like any of the mounting options so made my own . time consuming exercise that took me longer than I thought it would but happy with the results .I'm now back onto the engine so hopefully have it up and going in the next few months .The engine will take a bit of time as it is far fro stock . (I've still got to make an exhaust header, all the tin around the front and back plus a lot od bits and pieces .
mactaylor

Post by mactaylor »

How are you going with this project? I like it a lot!
wreck

Post by wreck »

Finally got all my engine bits back from the machinists . so making progress. in the process of clearancing some duetz barrels to the cylinder "Tins" . I'm using cut down genuine tines on the bottom side of the cylinder ,Ray if read this you might spot some funny little holes tapped in the case :D

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=19848
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool, it would be great if there was a way to directly measure how well the sprayers help...
Of course any heat pulled from the pistons will show up as increased oil temperature.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
wreck

Post by wreck »

I'll have a CHT read out on each head ,so will be able to do that .Just going to use compression fittings and 3/16 brake pipe for the pipe work and injectors . (end closed off with a small hole drilled for the injector. I'm using a swagelok one way valve with adjustable crack pressure ,I'll fit it in place of one of the the gallery bungs and have it running above 25psi . I didn't like the Porsche ones because they don't open till 45psi . I want this working at cruze rpm where the pressure isn't that high .
benito26

Post by benito26 »

Nice work mate, those Deutz 912's are sure gonna cool better than stock
wreck

Post by wreck »

Hard to say what the cooling differences would be , I went that way because of using work hardened quality cylinders. with the cost of machining down the cylinders and getting them bored even at "Mates rates" they're not a cheap option straight up . Next engine I'd look at some Nikasel cylinders from EMW . Does anyone have any first hand feed back on the longevity of those QSC cylinders ?

Just finished getting the deck height done , ended up with .008 plus a 1mm copper head gasket so 47 thou total . gives me 10.5/1 comp.( I'm using a C55 cam).Project for the weekend is finish making the head gaskets and start the rocker geometry . I'll post some pics later
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

wreck wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 pm Finally got all my engine bits back from the machinists . so making progress. in the process of clearancing some duetz barrels to the cylinder "Tins" . I'm using cut down genuine tines on the bottom side of the cylinder ,Ray if read this you might spot some funny little holes tapped in the case :D

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=19848
Do you have more pics on the external oil squirter feed lines? Are you using flexible / plastic lines or solid ones? What kind of squirters you have in place? One single line feeds all four squirters? Are you using a T from oil pressure sender to feed oil? One relief valve in the feeding line or do each squirter have a relief valve of their own?

Lots of questions :) Sorry about that. I was also trying to search Ray's thread about this topic but to no avail.
wreck

Post by wreck »

I'm working on the feed lines at the moment . I'll be using 3/16 brake pipe and compression fittings , I'll take the feed from the top galley plug above the oil cooler . a Tee from the one way valve with adjustable crack pressure ,one line going to the 3/4 head and one to feed the piston squirters and the 1/2 head . The nozzles are made from brake pipe as well , with a 0.7 mm orifice .
P8261067.JPG
P8261066.JPG
P9021068.JPG
I was going to show more of the build but I'm running out of time , There is a race weekend coming up at the end of the month that I want to get the car running for it . It is very time consuming because just about every thing on the engine is custom , also working out where to put 2 big oil coolers and make an tuned header as well .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wreck

Post by wreck »

just a pic of the inside before sealing it up , I ended up making 2 shims to make up for the undersize oil pump bore(the pump was blue printed and spaced out 1.5mm ) . I just used a couple of strips cut from a disposable oven tray . worked out 70.08 mm . The only issue is the pump has to be built into the engine . At least I know there will be no internal bypass . I also modified the windage tray to allow for the the extra oil from the squirters .
Last edited by wreck on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

Thanks for a quick reply!

Brake lines was what I was thinking also but wasn't quite sure on that though :) Good to hear that you were using those.

Did you just solder the end of the brake line to close it?

A good idea to build valve / valve train squirters on the same go. Need to plan that as well for my build.

Good luck with the build and fingers crossed you'll get it ready for the race!