AMC heads

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
mdmax72

AMC heads

Post by mdmax72 »

Just a quick question.

A lot of folks mention the original Vw/Porsche head temp sensor location to be a waste of time for true readings. With the new castings being offered by AMC, they have a different location for the head temp sensor. Is this to improve a truer reading?? or should l just be looking at the wire thing to go under the spark plug for a temp readings??
wreck

Re: AMC heads

Post by wreck »

The spark plug is the best place because information on correct head temps are from that location , Type 4's are the proverbial PITA because of the recessed plug . most commercial rings that I'm aware of don't fit .
I Devcon'd my sensors to the plug boss , so far (6months) daily driver they are still in place .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Piledriver

Re: AMC heads

Post by Piledriver »

Smaller body plugs help a great deal, you can get 5/8" hex small bodied 14mm or 12mm x 19mm reach plugs in any style or heat range, including Bosch DTCs or the NGK equivalents, there's a thread on that here, somewhere... Common plugs for a lot of watercooled cars.

That and a little bit of dremel work for the ferrule/wire to poke up and all is good.

JB Weld is your friend for retaining the TC under the plug, it will take 600F.

The "other" sensor locations are only suitable for EFI cold enrichment/startup/warmup cycle.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.