Heater Box Core Variations

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
vanapplebomb

Heater Box Core Variations

Post by vanapplebomb »

This is a cheap exhaust I built last year. Nothing fancy, only $60 worth of parts...just cut down heater boxes (thanks DaveT), dented collector (soon to be undented), Baja down turn tube, a small triangular flange, and a freebie stinger.

My question is what vehicle did the heater box cores come from shown below in the attached pics? And what heater boxes had the round tubes at the core? I have seen both, but I don't know what style came from what vehicle. I suspect the round tubes flow better than the ones I have. Would be nice to know if I ever come across a set really cheap at a swap meet. 8)

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce.m

Re: Heater Box Core Variations

Post by Bruce.m »

I believe Type4 cars came with petrol heaters so the normal design of heat exchangers were not needed.
vanapplebomb

Post by vanapplebomb »

Is that to say the 411/412 used the round tubes in the cores and busses used the wavy cores as shown in the attached pics?

Also, which of the two cores would have been encased in an aluminum heat sink? Or did they both have aluminum heat sinks?
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

411/2 unit. Simple tube in casing. No cast fins.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Bruce.m wrote:Image

411/2 unit. Simple tube in casing. No cast fins.
The 411 and 412 came with both heater boxes....yes with simple round tubes like Bruce pictured....and with a gas furnace. The heater boxes actually work pretty well on their own in city traffic low rpm to about 40°F.
They work well at highway speeds at about 30°-35°F. After that .....you really need to fire up the gas furnace to stay comfortable. Ray
vanapplebomb

Post by vanapplebomb »

Thanks for the help guys!