New type 4 trigger system

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Wally

New type 4 trigger system

Post by Wally »

Hi guys,

Just FYI, I just found out that VWSpeedshop has listed a new type 4 trigger system. I will be using this on my new build (in the forced induction forum) :mrgreen:

T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
falcor

Re: New type 4 trigger system

Post by falcor »

Hall or VR sensor?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Those sensors are always VR afaik. Its a tooth wheel with one gap, no magnets, so: no hall ;-)
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Doesn't have to have flying magnets for Hall. I use hall for my speed sensors, just picking up the tabs on the back of my rotors. Honeywell GT101 I believe, is an example of this style.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Most modern hall sensors used today are "gear tooth" type with a powerful bias magnet built in.
Just needs a steel wheel/teeth to look at.
holes work just as well.

The sensor I'm using can "see" gear teeth at 2.2mm pitch at ~15K shaft speed.(36 tooth 'wheel", through MS3)
I built my own "sensor" modules tho. Fits in a 3/8" SS tube about an inch long.
Last edited by Piledriver on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
falcor

Post by falcor »

Ok, just asked as I wondered between the difference between this one and thedubshop's Hall trigger kit which I'm using on my 2276.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Thank you for the very good info, Wally! I was just looking for a trigger wheel for my type4. Can it be used with upright conversion, with type1 milled pulley?
Wally

Post by Wally »

TZepeSH wrote:Thank you for the very good info, Wally! I was just looking for a trigger wheel for my type4. Can it be used with upright conversion, with type1 milled pulley?
I don't sell these and only just got my own set, so I really can't comment on when it will or will not fit. Better ask the seller that info. I gave the name of the shop and google is your friend beyond that :wink:

There are other type 4 specific set-ups though. MSS from germany (Marcus Schmitt iirc) also sells a really neat system with pulley and trigger wheel combined. I have that one too, but the VWspeedshop one will fit my application better (horizontal cooling).
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

I checked the website already. I was just asking for opinion on fitment, as I have not seen one "live", but you are right, I will send an e-mail and ask for details.
The MSS site is http://kaefer.motor-sport-service.de/ht ... kafer.html . They also have some interesting options, thanks for the hint.
falcor

Post by falcor »

http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/type-4-cr ... er-package

This is the one I'm using on my 2276.
Wally

Post by Wally »

falcor wrote:http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/type-4-cr ... er-package

This is the one I'm using on my 2276.
Nice too!
Its good to see multiple options for our type 4 engines. That has been different in the past :wink:
www.apfelbeck.nl