Cam shaft ID

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Sixty3GL

Cam shaft ID

Post by Sixty3GL »

Haven't been on here for a long time. I've been lurking for a few days combing for info. Looking for a little help identifying a cam shaft in my 2366 with hydraulic lifters. I popped off the pump cover and all I see is 071 stamped on the end. Between the lobes has similar markings like cwc and different numbers that others have posted in the past. It is a bolt together cam/gear. I have a picture I'm trying to get posted. Thank you.
Marc

Re: Cam shaft ID

Post by Marc »

Web Cam lists a 107i grind, P/N 00-612. "Hydraulic profile for good overall performance for engines with stock fuel-injection."

.430"/.430" valve lift

255°/255°adv dur

225°/225° dur @.050"

Look real hard at the stamped-in number and see if it might possibly be that one. Even if not, Web Cam would be the first place I'd call for help in ID'ing it - it sounds suspiciously similar and perhaps they've changed their numbering system a little. (951) 369-5144

The other numbers/letters found on the shaft aren't of any help to speak of, they're common to nearly all aftermarket cam blanks.
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Thank you Marc. So this is what I'm seeing. I can't tell if the mark on the bottom half is a 1, or some damage?

Marc

Post by Marc »

I doubt that the lower mark has any significance. But 107i was the closest I could find to 071; I'm thinking it may be an older Web Cam product. There aren't that many grinders making Type IV hydraulic cams, they're the market leader.
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Thank you, Marc. This cam, as far as I know, is from the late 90's. I will give them a call and see if they have any info.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

A quick look at the specs on the WEBsite, (sorry..)
Compared to your lift and duration,
Should confirm if it's a 107i or not.

Sure looks like an "I" to me..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Thanks for the replies, I sent this down to Web for them to measure/ID. I'll post up what I find out.
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Just heard back from Web. If anybody ever comes across another Hydraulic cam with 071 stamped on it, it may match the specs. of mine.

"Attached is the profile you sent in to check. This is not a WEB CAM. The intake appears like a stock profile however the exhaust is a bit smaller then the stock hydraulic profile. There are actually two different stock hydraulic profiles and this exhaust is in between the two. The intake looks similar to the larger of the two stock profiles however the cam lift is about .004 smaller is all. The stock lobe centers is normally 108, but on this cam is 105 degrees."

This cam came out of my 71x103, Oregon Performance DTM, I think stock rods, counter weighted crank, 44 IDF's, stage 2 port and polish, I think 2.0 heads with 44 intake and 38 exhaust. Not sure what the compression was. Exhaust wasn't anything special but now I run Jake's equal length econo with A-1 muffler. With the CB injection and not any real tuning it made 97 hp at the wheels and 130 tq. I tore it down because it was burning oil. Looked like the rings never seated. When I tore it down also found a crack on the top of a piston. I've bought JE Pistons and cast cylinders, and rings from European Motorworks so far.
Looking for opinions on if this cam was a good match at all with the original components? I'm at a point where I need to decide whether to go with a hydraulic cam better suited for CB's fuel injection, stick with what I have, or switch to mechanical lifters. I'm going to give Web a call and see what they suggest, just wanted to get some of your guys opinions. I can give more info about the motor if needed, just wanted to give a quick run down. Thank you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

In theory, the tighter LSA yields a higher peak torque at a lower RPM, which might be why it was chosen for a Bus. You don't get something for nothing, of course - it also narrows the power band (I don't imagine you're in the habit of wringing it out) and hurts mileage a tad. I'd definitely see what Web recommends.
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Forgot to mention this was in a '58 bug.
Talked to Web, they recommended 91 grind if I stayed hydraulic, and 86 if I switched to mechanical lifters.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sixty3GL wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 pm Forgot to mention this was in a '58 bug.
Talked to Web...
Ahhh...no good reason to stay with the 105° then (other than the fact that it's paid for). Was LSA mentioned? 108° is assumed generally, just curious if they thought you'd benefit any from widening it a bit.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Maybe FAT, SCAT or EMW? They've all been doing t4 cams since t4s were new...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Sixty3GL

Post by Sixty3GL »

Marc, I'm not familiar with LSA? Is that Lobe Center? The 91 grind is 108*, we didn't discuss lobe centers, she just made a recommendation based on some basic engine info. Thank you guys for adding to this thread.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Lobe Separation Angle (LSA) is the difference in camshaft degrees between the center of the intake lobe and the center of the exhaust lobe (the actual lobe centers, which would more often be expressed in crankshaft degrees like the valve events are).

"Lobe Center" is the technically incorrect "shorthand" term that is often used to express the LSA; for most discussions the terms are used interchangeably.

The valve events on a cam card are always in crankshaft degrees because what's relevant is the piston location at the moment. Assuming that the lobe is symmetrical (as 99.99% are) the lobe center (AKA the nose/point of maximum lift) is halfway between valve-open and valve-closed. The exhaust lobe center will be BTDC and the intake will be ATDC; the difference between them in crankshaft degrees must be divided by two to find the lobe separation angle in camshaft degrees because the cam turns at half crankshaft speed.
Engle FK42 on 112 LSA Cam Card.jpg
You can also tell that this cam has 3° of advance "built in" to the grind (compared to the classic "split overlap" convention of defining what's "straight-up"), because there's 6° difference between I.O. & E.C. (also between E.O. & I.C.) ...whenever someone tells you that their cam is in X number of degrees advanced/retarded you must ask whether they mean if that's compared to the cam card or to the split-overlap convention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.