GC code 2.0 liter motor help needed

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
grimmreaper

GC code 2.0 liter motor help needed

Post by grimmreaper »

I have a GC code 2.0 liter motor. Complete with all tin and accessories. I plan to convert to upright cooling using Cali conversion.

It will go into my 71 Super.

What do I do about air injection ports in the heads? Weld or plug and with what?

Looking like finding the right cooling tin for the conversion will be a challenge. Any recommendations? I would like to save $ and not go CSP kit or DTM.

I would like 100+ HP. I have a set of Weber 44 IDFs. Do I need to increase compression ratio (7.6:1) to do that and how do I increase that?

Thank you in advance!
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: GC code 2.0 liter motor help needed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Hey Mr. Reaper

As to the air Injection ports, EMW http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/ makes aluminum screw in plugs for the ports, I've then cut the end off then drill and tap for sheet metal screws, the other end sometimes goes into the exh port I just grind it to the port .

Sharpbuilt has a kit http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/sharpbuilt1/page11.htm but don't know what they cost, something to check into.

EMW use to do an upright kit, may still have some fiberglass head tin and other pieces ? Give Jorge a call and see what he has.

Raising C/R alone won't give you 100+ HP,. But to raise C/R, on a budget ? Flat top pistons, or slightly larger flat top 96mm pistons & cylinders.

Do not flycut your heads to increase C/R, all that does, is thins the sealing area of the heads and weakens the sealing area, flycutting .002 to .003" to clean up the deck is fine, but people go .030" or more to increase C/R, decreases head surface quality and the life of the heads.

If you were putting in valve seats, I would recommend welding up the chamber slightly to reduce chamber cc's, and you can not weld up the chambers unless to plan on changing the seats, other wise the old seats would loosen up from the welding and eventually fall out after a few heat cycles give or take.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
grimmreaper

Post by grimmreaper »

Mr. Unleashed
Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I will definately check into the screws, I knew someone had to have overcome this issue before.

I understand increasing CR on its own will get me to where I want to be but it is a start in the right direction. I will look into the pistons etc.

I have not yet begun to disassemble the engine so I am in the early planning stages. All along my thought has been that I already have more CCs than my type one so I am ahead of the game, just need to do the right things to improve performance of this engine.

Once I get the parts for the conversion I will begin the teardown and rebuild to which I will post pictures of. I will check with a local Porsche salvage yard for the right cooling tin for the conversion.

Thanks again,
GR (aka Mike)
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

HI from my experience, I will get you off on a happy note. The T-4 is a very forgiving engine when converted to an upright. As you know CSP and Sharpbuilt use the same design as the Cali Style that being the 36hp Dog house fanhousing. That said even on much larger engines that fanhousing does not have a problem cooling .
Take your time.
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
grimmreaper

Post by grimmreaper »

Thanks Joe! I will. I have all the original tin for the motor and I am debating whether or not to sell it all to fund the conversion. I did see on a 914 site where someone use 1.8 liter cylinder covers and made 2.0 covers. This would require some skill and patience. I'm willing to learn but patience is in question. :wink: