Break in procedure and response guide

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
cgates30

Break in procedure and response guide

Post by cgates30 »

I've done a little searching but haven't found the level of detail I'm looking for. Is there a guide that recommends a break-in procedure with as response guide on what do "if" for a newly rebuilt T4. Sorry if I just missed it..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

cgates30

Re: Break in procedure and response guide

Post by cgates30 »

This is what I've found: http://www.aircooled.net/vw-engine-break-in-procedure/

Under the preparing to run section, it says to remove the oil pressure switch and spark plugs except for the Type 4. For a type 4 it says to remove the spin on oil filter.

In the running the engine the first time section, it says to run between 2000-3000 rpm for 15 minutes. I recall from other forums seeing it should be at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Are these guidelines or hard and fast rules? If hard and fast, which one is right? They give a little explanation for the reason for 2000+ for breakin, but don't really address how much rpm/time is actually needed. Is it a case where 2000 rpm at 30 minutes would be even better for cam lobe and lifter break-in?

They also say to adjust the valves every 500 miles for a new engine. Does that sound right?

Thanks
analogtherapy

Post by analogtherapy »

I've not actually gotten to that point yet in my own rebuild, but I can say that I've found similar information. There seem to be 2 specific break in periods: 1) When you're starting the engine the very first time, and 2) when you actually start driving it.

Here's some more info from another respected vw mechanic: http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... php?t=7709

Good luck!
cgates30

Post by cgates30 »

Thanks for the link. The more I can learn the better!