71 x 103 engine rescue

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
E_bug

71 x 103 engine rescue

Post by E_bug »

What should I do with this cylinder head.
The shop that rebuild the head for the previous owner said it's ok to use. :shock:

Since its a salvage build of a previously modified engine that lost a valve seat I would like to avoid welding since it has New guides and seats. !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by E_bug on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
My welding sucks .
wreck

Re: Cylinder Head rescue

Post by wreck »

it's a bit hard to see from the photo but it looks like it's already been flycut a fair bit by the distance to the spark plug .If so fly cutting the head to get rid of the damage is not an option. I would get a new AMC blank head and get the hard ware swapped over . All the indents in my opinion will hold carbon and cause hot spots causing pre ignition .
No matter where you go , there you are !
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

Will those aluminium repair rods durafix work? I guess they will melt right of with the engine running..
My welding sucks .
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

They mention 732F melting point.. Hmmm that wont cut it .. Maybe for a cylind r head cooling fin ;)
My welding sucks .
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

I am posting a pic from m lifters.. They are all flat and have pitting damage. How much material can be removed to clean them up and regrind to spec?

Also posting rocker pics. What should I do with those if anything ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My welding sucks .
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

And the rockers ..
My welding sucks .
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

While it's not ideal,
The shop that rebuilt those heads is right,
They are OK to use.

Not great, but OK.. LOL!

Seriously, the chambers will fill up with carbon soot, and any sharp edges are unlikely to cause detonation in most normal driving.
If you are going for max best power/perfection, it wouldn't do,
But they will likely run for years and years of typical street use.

Nice big valve heads with opened chambers and all.. I'd clean a few of the burrs up that stick into the chamber area.
See if you can measure a difference in the ccs.. If not, run it!

Send those lifters to SLR for a re-grind and parkerize.
If they are too far gone to re-do, then nothing lost but some postage, right?

Most people like the 1.7 rockers because they take the typical swivel feet in 8mm size,
but they make swivel feet for those bigger ones now. there is a guy in Europe selling them, can't remember the name..

Solid shaft spacers, bigger mounting studs, new shafts; different things work for those later rockers as well.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

Thanks for the advice! Not going for max f1 power per cc .
Btw what are these rockers that i have?

I have to look for a shop that will grind them locally . Shipping to usa from this side of the pond would prob be as much as a set of lifters.

I noticed on the other side of the lifter there is a retaining clip c clip . Can i have the lifter 101 class please :)
Last edited by E_bug on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My welding sucks .
wreck

Post by wreck »

http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte%2 ... h%20en.htm. Thorsten is the person that makes the 10mm adjusters . I would also look at his tool steel type 1 lifters and bushes . I would not want to re use those lifters , I think it would be worth sending an email with photos to Webcam and ask them if a new set of their lifters will be ok with the old cam . Cams and lifters are one of the biggest headaches with flat tappet engines now . years ago you could slap together just about any cam lifter combo and mostly get away with it , not now .
No matter where you go , there you are !
E_bug

Post by E_bug »

Why do those lifters have a c clip on the bottom side ?
My welding sucks .
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Your lifters are junk. Do not waste postage. Buy cam with lifters and use the correct oil for break in. As others have noted....if you can get proper tool steel lifters you can use them with almost any cam.

Otherwise buy cam and lifters together and follow the mfg instructions to the letter.

As for the "circlip"....you mean the one on the pushrod side inside the lifter? All of the Scat and Webcam lifters have had that for years now. It holds in the hardened "button" that the pushrod rides on. It makes it to where in mqnufacturing you cqn havd the lifter body and cam face at one hardnessand the pushrod wear point at another. Ray
E_bug

Re: Engine rescue

Post by E_bug »

Can i convert to hydaulic lifters ?

And i found out that my case is cut for a porche fan... I will need to be creative on that because i really dont want a porche style fan .. I have csp knock offs for upright cooling.
My welding sucks .