Swing vs IRS newbie Q

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Gnasha

Swing vs IRS newbie Q

Post by Gnasha »

As I'm new to ACVW so I'm thinking this is a dummy question that may raise a few smiles.

I'm converting T4 to upright to fit into a 73 Ghia. Ill be removing the current engine and IRS box for O/haul at a later date.

I'm looking for another T1 IRS box to fit to the T4 to fit as a complete unit. Current box is AN code. I'd like a IRS box to replace the existing.

What is the difference between swing axel and IRS? how can you tell the difference by looking?. can I fit/convert swing axel to IRS?

I'm looking at an AM code box at the moment but need to be sure before purchase. Are there any other codes I should look for to suit this application

Many thanks for reading this
wreck

Re: Swing vs IRS newbie Q

Post by wreck »

swing axle has the axle and tubes connected to the transmission (google is your friend), the axle is straight and pivots in the diff centre so the wheels have big camber changes as the suspension goes up and down . You are better off with the IRS set up .
You can convert a swinger box to IRS but you need to change a lot of bits and pieces ,like the diff centre and side plates .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Gnasha

Re: Swing vs IRS newbie Q

Post by Gnasha »

wreck wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:25 am swing axle has the axle and tubes connected to the transmission (google is your friend), the axle is straight and pivots in the diff centre so the wheels have big camber changes as the suspension goes up and down . You are better off with the IRS set up .
You can convert a swinger box to IRS but you need to change a lot of bits and pieces ,like the diff centre and side plates .
Thank you for your feed back, much appreciated.