Type 4 carburetors advice needed

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Ktk833

Type 4 carburetors advice needed

Post by Ktk833 »

Hi.
I just grabbed a type 4 engine (1800cc I presume- probably the help could start here- as to how I could be certain of the engine capacity minus engine code as it was erased)

It had been modified into a centrally mounted single carb running on a 34 PICT 3.

I would like to know;
1. With limited resources (or rather trying to first use what I have off my type 1 collections), are there any carburetors off the type 1 (PICT series) I could try fit and get going? (I already attempted so using a pair of 34 PICT 3 having removed the studs and bolting them down with a single bolt each with firm gussets).
2. What advice would you guys have regarding going single carb- if that way, what recommendations would you have (carb specs etc).
3. What would be the best advice regarding this scenario (what would have you done in my shoes)?

Kindly help me out guys. I'd love to hear your responses in this.

Thanks.
twodollardoug

Re: Type 4 carburetors advice needed

Post by twodollardoug »

I had a single carb on my 914 when I first got it and it sucked. I would suggest to save you money and get duel webers or dels. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail.
oprn

Post by oprn »

I do not believe that VW ever equipped a type 4 engine with one single barrel carb. That should tell you something right there. It may be possible with enough manifold heat, a large enough carb and lots of tinkering to get it to run ok but you would not likely be able to take advantage of the full potential of the engine.

I am pretty pleased with the dual 40 Webers I have on mine presently.

The only way I would consider a single carb is if it was fairly large and feeding a hair dryer. Now that idea has some potential!
bushoarder

Post by bushoarder »

Hi
What jets do you run in your Weber’s? Twin 40s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oprn

Post by oprn »

Float level 11.5 mm
31mm vents
132 mains
205 airs
F11 emulsion tubes
50 idles
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

The only successful single carbs I have ever heard of are the t127 (Industrial? military? maybe this thread viewtopic.php?t=122273) and desert racing cars that don't idle much. Fixed speeds of a generator, or all out racing. Nothing that would make a good driver.

I like the 40 IDFs I run, seems better than the dual/singles pair of ICTs...I am not sure I would try to do an economy single with limited resources. It will be cheaper to just do duals from the start.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.