Stroke/Bore balnce between good performance and longevity

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Hello to all of you at the forum, as l read in Joel's message, l also wondered what would work the best on a typeIV engine transplanted into a Beetle like mine(1303SB)
Transmission wise l think mostly a little welding of third and fourth and a stronger clutch, but l have questoins concerning C/R, stroke and bore, Carburetion, etc..
l was looking to build a realiable 1.7 Liter 914/TIV engine for my Super(something with a little added kick over the original engine and more durability and reliability) and wanted to know what strokes work best for this, what Cam is recomended for the dual ICT's l have, what valves would work best,exhaust systems, plug gaps, dwell gaps, if the flywheel and preassure plate would fit the housing on the 1973 tranny my super has,etc... Comming from a basically Type 1 background the science should be simple, yet l still have these questions. Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Ephry

Ephry732aol.com
tuna

Post by tuna »

Before anybody can make recommendations (which I'd be happy to do), we need to know a few items from you.

First off, what parts do you currently own? just a rebuildable 1.7 longblock? Less? More?

Second, how big a budget do you have available? Low-bucks or whatever it takes?

Third, what kind of use do you expect this engine to see? A daily driver? Fair weather driver? A weekend cruiser?

Once we know this, we can give you a few starting points.

Tuna
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

ok, here's the deal:
-Good 1.7 914 case, crank heads.
-Cam looks badly grounded down, heads are being worked on by a friend.
lifters seem ok, need to get new
-Have 34 ICT webers with manifolds and all for the type4.
-Need to get new clutch assembly and everything else.
-Also need to get all of the tinware to install in car as well.

Need info on what kind of cam would work best with stock lifters and the carbs l have, plus the mechanical advance Dizzy.
- Car is to be a daily driver. Stock 1303 tranny with 185/65/15 front tires and 195/70/15 tires out back and stock rims.
-l plan(like l said before) and want to get the most reliable combination l can with the little money l have, my budget so far is about just $1,200.00.
l'm not looking so much for a rolling "jet" but mainly a car that would respond well in Highway traffic and last me for a while as well.
Thanks
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

ok, here's the deal Imagerevised)
-Good 1.7 914 case, crank heads.
-Cam looks badly grounded down, heads are being worked on by a friend.
lifters seem ok, need to get new
-Have 34 ICT webers with manifolds and all for the type4.
-Need to get new clutch assembly and everything else.
-Also need to get all of the tinware to install in car as well.
-Need to get the 90mm barrels and pistons as well, and wanted to know if the 914 ones are better Compression.(rings and everything)

Need info on what kind of cam would work best with stock lifters and the carbs l have, plus the mechanical advance Dizzy.
- Car is to be a daily driver. Stock 1303 tranny with 185/65/15 front tires and 195/70/15 tires out back and stock rims.
-l plan(like l said before) and want to get the most reliable combination l can with the little money l have, my budget so far is about just $1,200.00.
l'm not looking so much for a rolling "jet" but mainly a car that would respond well in Highway traffic and last me for a while as well.
Thanks
tuna

Post by tuna »

Here's what I'd recommend:

Since you have most of the parts for a 1.7, keep it a 1.7. You can bump the displacement up to a 1.8 by using the 93mm piston/cylinder set and have the heads opened to matched the cylinders. So, you'll have either a 90x66(1679cc) or a 93x66 (1793cc) engine.
If you are going to use those 34ICTs, I suggest that you keep the engine basically stock. The Busses came with 34mm carbs (Solex 34PDSIT) and the 914 came with Solex 40mm PDSIT carbs. So I'd expect about stock Bus numbers out of this engine. Any more cam and you'll be suffocating the engine with the carbs.
Stick with the stock heads, just have them rebuilt. Your stock 1.7 heads have bigger intakes valves than a stock dual port Type 1 and the ports are much larger and a straighter shot in.
As for the ignition, stick with the Bosch 009 or find an 050 at a swapmeet. Bosch Blue Coil will do the job fine.

If you haven't already, read the technical articles on my website: http://www.tunacan.net/t4/tech/
These articles were written to help people curious about the Type 4 get started on understanding it.

Tuna
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Thanks for your help Tuna, l was thinking of just keeping it as stock to 1.7 as possible, and maybe just add the punch with a bit more compression(possibly 8:2:1or close according to my measures) and a cam that has a bit more lift but about same duration as stock.
again thanks, and seriously, who really uses more than @80 give or take a few for daily driving?
keep you guys posted,
Ephry