Why did you pick the Type 4 conversion?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
wideridezzz

Post by wideridezzz »

Most likely too late for this poster's initial needs, but:

I have a type 4 in a speedster replica. I went from a stock 1776 type 1 to about 130 HP type1 and then read that type4 power was fast at lift off as well as top end. I am now equipped with a Massive Type4 built by Jake Raby 2615 CC.

The car has been up and down the west coast to numerous Porsche and replicar events, winning its share of trophies, but the rides to and from the shows, now that's what I'm talkin' about!

On average about 23-25 MPG but that drops off when it's hammer time! I'm a bit of a sled in the handling department but you learn to steer with the gas pedal and hang on in the turns.

Yes this engine is more expensive than some VW power plants but man if a person is looking for an engine that sort of 'does it all' I think this is it.
joop

Post by joop »

krems wrote:
joop wrote:Hi all,

New to the T4rum.
Well I had a dune buggy many years ago (23 :? ) with a 1500CC engine wich had exhaust valves for dinner. Then I bought a 411LE engine and had only 1 broken valve with this setup (speeds are high in europa) Due to bad wether I sold the car and bought an Herbie. My dad had @ 12 new beatles when he worked for a big company. So after my two older brothers had bugs too I had to have one or two. Then after I seized a few more T1 engines I got the 411 engine out of a corner and did put 71mm crank in and some 412LS (AN) heads and bus (low comp) pistons & L. and dual 40mm solex carbs. Then after 100.000Km another broken valve :oops:
Then another visit to BAS in germany :lol: For high comp pistons reground crank new camshaft all bearings oilpump valves (first time new valves) reworked heads and I changed to webers..... The same engine that was mounted in my first car (buggy) has now done over 350.000Km and is still weekly driven as a 2th no 3th no 4th car :oops:

cool vid....what size engine was in it?
Thanks

94 X 71 = 2.0L = 104 RWHP
V8Killer

Type IV conversion

Post by V8Killer »

I just enjoy smoking heavy slow mustangs and over dressed Hondas. The performance of my beetle went from a shameful 60 hp to 156hp when dyno tested. I have my bug looking like a totally stock grocery getter.
jblazin82

Post by jblazin82 »

I just wanted more power for off road use. Im running a 2056cc CSP upright conversion with dual 40 dellortos and 914 heads and cam. its my first built and im almost done. just fine tuning the carbs.
74Shagenwagen

Post by 74Shagenwagen »

Had a 2165 typeI in my '73 Super. It made 200 hp, and 171 ft/lbs at 5000rpm. But, it was too peaky and radical for the street. Always had to downshift and rev the crap out of it to keep it in the sweet spot. Not a very good motor for the twisty mountain roads around here.

I now have a R.A.T. 2270 typeIV with a real flat torque curve between 3000 and 5500 rpm, peaking at 167 ft/lbs @ 4000.
This engine is much more "driver friendly"... has great torque to pull up hills and out of corners.

the red car has a 2056 typeIV...
jump420

It fell in my lap!

Post by jump420 »

The last VW I had I was still in high school. Then my bro. went to jail and told me to take care of his "baby". A 1969 VW Beetle. Then a neighbor down the street replaced his stock 914 motor with an after market one and sold me the long block for $100( everyone told me I couldn't pass this deal up). So now I'm building( hopefully) an 1807cc(90mm x 71mm) engine and I want to mate it to a flipped 914 or 911 tranny. Will post pics. once work starts. I can't wait until my bro. gets out so I can show him what I did to his "baby"!
User Name

why I chose type IV

Post by User Name »

since I started drive bays, I've always gove with type IV engines, I've found them better siuted for pushing a bay along, I usually use W code 1700 injection engines
now I want to build a bigger engine 2ltr, I hope to find a 2ltr 914 injection system for it, or maybe a megasquirt which ever comes up cheapest
I hope porsche style cooling, that also will depend onfinances
fusername

Post by fusername »

914 fuel injection systems are a bear to complete. I ahve injectors rails intake plenum computere etc, but still need to find a map sensor and throttle body. Even if MS isn't cheaper, I would reccomend it if you don't have a starting point already.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User Name

Post by User Name »

fusername wrote:914 fuel injection systems are a bear to complete. I ahve injectors rails intake plenum computere etc, but still need to find a map sensor and throttle body. Even if MS isn't cheaper, I would reccomend it if you don't have a starting point already.
so far I don't have much, I am hoping to put a single throttle body behind a porsche fan, I have one complete 1700, 411le inection system running, I'm not sure how much if any of that I'll be able to use
I'm expecting to need a larger throttle body unless I'm lucky and it'll work on a 2ltr motor, same with injectors, I have a NOS set tucked away
plenum and manifolds, I'm going to have to chop up a couple of sets to make what I need
the reason for the 914 Idea, was in the hope it's pretty close to what I'm used to ;)
we'll see how that one turns out
fusername

Post by fusername »

and post your build, I would follow it. I would like to use the 914 FI, but I just can;t find the parts
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User Name

Post by User Name »

fusername wrote:and post your build, I would follow it. I would like to use the 914 FI, but I just can;t find the parts
I will when I can find more of the parts I need

so far I have 1 complete running WO code motor
2 spare complete long block WO code motors
a 2ltr CU block stripped, cleaned ready for machining
standard crank cleaned and bagged ready for use
standard rods cleanedbagged ready for use
almost new 2ltr barrels and dished pistons...I'd like to find flat or ideally domed pistons
almost new AMC heads...heads will need porting polishing and bigger valves, to a similar spec as 2ltr 914 heads
1 set of NOS bosch injectors
then there's the fun stuff
1 x 930 106 102 4r porsche fan ring
2 x 901 106 101 5r porsche fan rings
2 alternators for the above
1 fan (chipped :() for one of the 901 106 101 5r rings

cam, lifters, (maybe ratio rockers) spec to be determined
at least one maybe 2 pairs of intake manifolds, to modify to clear the porsche fan
porsche fan shroud
edis ignition
complete 914 injection needed
where to put the thread though, in here or in the injection forum :oops:
fusername

Post by fusername »

start a build thread somewhere so people can follow it. you need a fan? shoot me a PM I have a couple I don't need.

bo

Post by bo »

man i just threw away a 2.0 map sensor and throttle body :( i can check the garage if you like maybe i didnt toss all of it
typ4

Re: Why did you pick the Type 4 conversion?

Post by typ4 »

Waaaaayyy back in 1979/80 I worked in a small repair shop and a 75 van came in with a bad head. No one in town would touch it so I of course dove right in , replaced the head, took the gaskets out of the other side . After the test drive I thought this has way more grunt than a type1.
Collected/parted out many busses that I wish I had today, bought probably the second or third DTM from Joe and put a stock 1800 in my sandrail, 8 years of thrashing later I built a 2400 and now the 2840 turbo FI engine. I have stuffed a few flat engines into pre 72 busses and have hung a few on bajas.
I still have 12 engines in the garage ,and a mountain of junk heads.
I wonder how well the engine would have lasted and ran if VW would have put a really good exhaust on???
sixty9fasty

Re: Why did you pick the Type 4 conversion?

Post by sixty9fasty »

The '74 Thing I recently picked up had a type4 in it already. Not my first VW(Had a '69 fasty, and currently a '56 Oval). Can't wait to get this interesting motor back in the Thing and get her roadworthy!