Turbo type4 fastback:)

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
jonas n

Re: Turbo type4 fastback:)

Post by jonas n »

I would change friends :lol:
I might not listen to them :wink:

Yes its IRS!

I'll try to keep you updated here about the rebuild, I really should clean up this thred but it's too many pics missing.. :(
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

On that note,
I did save a few pics of your build,
Posted them on TOS, and put them in my build thread.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... &start=200

Your build was too significant for Photobucket IMO.. That place is for cat pictures...
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Well how did we make it to the Carbage Run?? Two weeks before the start i took the fasty out for some highwaytests, drove for about 15 minutes in like 70-80mph...temp were fine, afr was ok.. AND IT BROKE DOWN:( There was a knocking sound from the centre of the engine, no time to check it(still have not look'd at it) so we pulled my 1303s out of the barn, got it inspected and off we went!! So finally we completed the Carbage Run, in another car but We did it!! Three big guys in a little bug went 2600miles with no bigger problems! We'll go with the fasty some other time...or just build a turbo engine again:)
qaxa

Re:

Post by qaxa »

MattKab wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:16 pm Good results Jonas!

The boxing of the fins by the exhaust port in that last pic looks perfect!

Matt
Does someone have a picture of boxed fins as these pics are long gone to get an idea what exactly needs to be boxed? So this helps to prevent cracking, correct?
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

I still have the heads, Wait a few weeks and i Will tear the engine apart..
Type 4 Unleashed

Re: Re:

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

No, it's not to prevent cracking, boxing helps cyl sealing, the center point between the suds is the weakest point, so the fins are ground away, and that area is welded up, providing better support for the cyl. I've also seen 5th & 6th studs done, for the same reason. Here's a pic of boxing:

qaxa wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 am

Matt
Does someone have a picture of boxed fins as these pics are long gone to get an idea what exactly needs to be boxed? So this helps to prevent cracking, correct?
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
qaxa

Re: Re:

Post by qaxa »

Type 4 Unleashed wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 am No, it's not to prevent cracking, boxing helps cyl sealing, the center point between the suds is the weakest point, so the fins are ground away, and that area is welded up, providing better support for the cyl. I've also seen 5th & 6th studs done, for the same reason. Here's a pic of boxing:

qaxa wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 am

Matt
Thanks Richard, appreciate the picture!

Is this done only on spark plug side or also on the other side?