Turbo type4 fastback:)

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Rba

Post by Rba »

Well? Now when winter is here there should be plenty done, right?
I know I got alot done this weekend... :roll:

/Rba
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

The only thing that happened is that when i got the engine running.. the cam went flat.. It was just tearing everything apart again :cry: I know i have been bad att the updates here.. Hopefully it willl be running next summer again :wink:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

jonas n wrote:The only thing that happened is that when i got the engine running.. the cam went flat.. It was just tearing everything apart again :cry: I know i have been bad att the updates here.. Hopefully it willl be running next summer again :wink:
Crap, hopefully it didn't tear things up much otherwise.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
func412

Post by func412 »

jonas n wrote:The only thing that happened is that when i got the engine running.. the cam went flat.. It was just tearing everything apart again
Were you using Webcam + Scat lifters or something else?
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Webcam + scat "lube a lobe"... had it running for at least half an hour with stock valvesprings, then i pulled the heads off and changed to dualsprings, everything looked just fine. Changed the oil (texaco 20/50) and drove it for about 20-30km then it started to sound bad...
dstar

Post by dstar »

Got pics of cam and lifters?
Which failed?

Don
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Jonas i suggest that you use tool steel lifters in your build. May be expensive at first but worth it. The texaco oil you were using was it for breaking only.
func412

Post by func412 »

I have scat cam and lube-a-lobe lifters and scat single valve springs. This combination has been working fine in 1,7 ltr engine.

As you said the damage was happened after you had changed the tighter springs. Maybe the cam and followers are not compatible and that´s why lubrication fails with higher valvespring pressure and parts will be destroyed? Just guessing.

I have Webcam cam+lifters combo waiting for the next engine. I hope they will work as they should.
farmer

Post by farmer »

With dual springs, SLR reground only, or tool steel, or Massive´s set up.
T
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

they where sold to work togheter and var SLR reground.

End of story.
farmer

Post by farmer »

Allright :shock: - Well one time has to be the first. But the SLR solution have been working very well for me over the last 3½ years.
T
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

farmer wrote:Allright :shock: - Well one time has to be the first. But the SLR solution have been working very well for me over the last 3½ years.
T
yes.. it sucks bigtime :evil:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

(Originally put this post in the wrong thread...)

How much do 8 of the Mk1 Golf valve bucket shims cost again?
(About $2 US in singles)

I believe those are an appropriate material and properly hardened.

I believe one can even get little pressed cubic Silicon Nitride pucks like that... (obviously more than a buck) but you would apparently have to do it yourself, or run into patent issues.

It's gotten to the point I'm willing to shorten std iron lifters, oven braze on the shims and send that to SLR for regrind.

Since rationally priced tool steel lifters or any other sane choice are still nowhere to be seen, this seems like a reasonable plan of action.

Tool steel isn't THAT expensive, you are paying for the essentially one-off machining... I haven't ever heard of iron lifter bodies failing except for the hollow ones coming apart, so the "expensive" part is premade for dirt cheap, just use OEM lifter bodies.

(Kudos to whoever proposed that... can't find the thread)

They could be std T4 size or T4 body/T1 face hybrids.

I bet that could be done for a sane price, even onesies, and should be as effective as full custom units, at a FAR lower cost.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Svwerker

Post by Svwerker »

jonas n wrote:... drove it for about 20-30km then it started to sound bad...
It's a typ4, it supposed to sound bad! :lol:

That sucks, another flat cam. :cry: :x
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Svwerker, you are on very dangerous grounds with your statement, even if you have a smile....:)
This is not just a website thread, it is as close to religion as you can get.
Be very careful....I know you well from all the Vdubs videos but I am not sure you know me too well by face?
One day we will meet at a VW event, will be fun to discuss TIV versus T1, right:) I will keep my smile.

As for tool steel lifters, they can get worn down too.
One set went down in Sweden this summer.
All I do know about the circumstances is that it was top notch pros working on the engine but still.....
I think Jake has been on one and only right track for a while with the combination of items that can go wrong and if not design, it is also the oil choice and break in with proper lubricant and possibly GM EOS.

Jonas, I feel the bad feeling with you.