Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
david58

Post by david58 »

Nice tech pics like the one below too.

Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
emil_MK

Post by emil_MK »

Thanks for the worm welcome .....
There are a lot of interesting and usful stuff here :wink:

The site is not actualy mine that is the site of the vw club i am a member of
but if u find it interesting or helpful that's great , and forget the language barier we speak the vw language.
And we are friendly :wink: :wink:
KneeDragger

Post by KneeDragger »

Just wanted to make myself known. I do not yet have a bug, but should in the next few days.

My dads friend is giving me his 68 bug for $300. It starts and runs, just needs cleaned up, 2 floor panels, the panel that goes between the two fenders, and break line.
The engine runs good, but has rust, so I'll end up replacing some pullys and all rubber.
I believe it's the original engine, 48k on the clock.

I'm buying it for my fiancee because we aren't going to be able to afford the honeymoon we wanted because our dog needed a tumor removed from her eye.

I must admit I know very little about the VW, but do like to wrench a bit on my other cars (95 M3, 95 Miata), and bike (r6). So a book is probably going be one of my first investments.

I'm honestly a bit intimated by the VW, the whole engine set up is foreign to me. The pistons aim the wrong way, and have their own removable cylinders NOT in the block, no coolant or radiator.

Is there anything else I should look for on a 68? Is there a "standard" performance road that everyone takes?
And most importantly, how hard is the bug for someone that has never driven a 5 speed (well 4 speed in this case).

Thanks
Scott Novak

Post by Scott Novak »

KneeDragger,

Driving a Beetle with a 4-speed is easy, provided it is in good shape.

Unless you're lucky enough to buy a Beetle that was very well maintained, there are a slot of simple maintenance items that need to be addressed, otherwise your Beetle can be hell to drive and not much fun. Little things like a $1.00 shift rod bushing that is usually worn out because it wasn't greased properly, need replacing. Until your replace it, shifting can be difficult. Once you've replaced it with a new one and greased it, it won't seem like the same car, because it shifts so easily.

You can find answers to most of your questions on here. Do a search for information, as most of your questions have already been discussed. If you still can't find your answer, post a question with a descriptive title about the question. Then try to keep your questions to one subject. If you have a question about something else, start another topic with another descriptive title. It makes it easier for everyone to find topics.

Scott Novak
david58

Post by david58 »

Welcome to the STF.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Olson

Post by Olson »

Hi folks from the UK,

I'm not really new to VWs, but I'm new to this forum so I thought I'd say holla!

My name's Ollie and over the years I've owned a few... two Ovals, a Splitty panelvan, a Notch, a 1303.

At the moment I have a 1970 bay delux and a 1954 Oval.

I joined up becuase you guys seem pretty clued up and helpful, just what I like. Hopefully I'll be able to help some of you out and vice-versa.

Cheers,
Ollie
8)
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welcome Ollie,

The "cross-pollenation" between continents seems very productive to me. There are differences in approach to almost all parts of the hobby and they seem to be regional, IMO. The Euros always seem very advanced in their engineering and technology (and price!! :shock: ). Of course, they have had the cars the longest. Anyway, Ollie, welcome to STF. Hope you enjoy the forums.

doc
ocdbeetle

Post by ocdbeetle »

Hi all - I'm jim...I have a 67 beetle, lotus white, so pretty...I enjoy learning about it and vw's in general...
david58

Post by david58 »

ocdbeetle wrote:Hi all - I'm jim...I have a 67 beetle, lotus white, so pretty...I enjoy learning about it and vw's in general...
Welcome to the STF ocdbeetle. I am really glad you found the STF, and I really want to see pics of your car.
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

Welcome Ollie, and ocdbeetle. We are glad to have you guys here!
lilredbuggy

nother newbie......

Post by lilredbuggy »

Hey everyone...my name is Kevin. Had veedubs years ago and recently picked up a buggy and a baja bug , which came in boxes and crates. Hopeing to see the road this summer with one or the other. At my age (55) I move a little slower now. This forum seems full of helpful people and great advice. Trust me, I will need some help. Allready found some answers by lurking and looking at other folks questions. Will try to post some pics soon. My computer skills are lacking same as my mechanical skills. But learning and having fun are all part of it . I live in Delaware and would like to get involved with a club , if one exists around here. Any help would be appreciated. Hope to talk to some of you soon.....Good Day...Kevin.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Kevin,

Welcome. I'm always a little hesitant to see new guys get involved with the Off Road crowd right away. They're a tough audience. I know for a fact that a couple of them drink beer! :shock:

But I know you can find great advice for your new rides here. These guys are used to digging out of holes. Enjoy the forums.

55? Not even in the running for the "old beater" club. Take another aspirin and quit whinin'. :D

Pics soon. You promise!

doc
lilredbuggy

Post by lilredbuggy »

Yeah , took that aspirin :D ....doing yard work all day...thanks for the reply....imagine ...me and veedubs and beer drinkers.... 8) ...my new wife doesnt know what she is in for.....Ha Ha.....

Yes ...pics soon......promise.....
bingo 7

Post by bingo 7 »

Hello,
I have been VW fan since I was a kid. Well now as an adult (unless you ask my wife) I bought a 197O Bug. I am in Southwest Missouri. There is not a whole lot of help out this way, but that is why I am leaning on you guys. I look forward to joining the community. Thanks. Shawn
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Shawn,

Welcome to STF!! Nice looking baha.

I live in NW Arkansas. We must be pretty close. Will you go to the Eureka Springs show in August?

doc