Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
sandfreaks

Re: Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Post by sandfreaks »

long time lurker first time poster.
Located in olympia wa
Love this site and the vast array of knowledge.
Currently working on a 69 volksrod with a 5 1/2 " fernon chop.
And a 69 baja.
Been into aircooled for about 18 years now.
This is my 5th baja.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Another PNW sand dood! Welcome. Where do you ride?

Lee
MaNiaCaL Z78

Post by MaNiaCaL Z78 »

Decided to update my intro a little bit.

Here is a video series I have started to document my VW builds (and other) as I go.

https://youtu.be/tbkmu7QlTSo
Xoloski

Introduction of Xoloski

Post by Xoloski »

Hi All,
My name is Steve, Username is Xoloski. The username comes from combining my dog's breed (Xoloitzcuintli) and the last three letters of my last name (Tyminski), thus Xoloski.

I live in southeast AZ, about 20 west of Tombstone. I am retired as a municipal employee. When I started working in 1980 I was a mechanic working on Police Moto Guzzi motorcycles. When I retired in 2011 I was a transportation superintendent overseeing the municipal airport and public transit system. Both were grant funded and thus the combination of activities.

At this time I have:
1) A 1970 VW Beetle that I bought two years ago from my neighbor, the original owner. I plan to restore this to showroom stock condition for my wife.

2) A 1972 Porsche 914 that I bought from the original owner with 30K miles (supposedly). I found this at an estate sale buried in the weeds in the guys back yard. I plan to sell this as a true barn find to someone who is into 914s.

3) A friend with two portable sawmills that have VW engines. One is located at Prince of Wales Island, AK. The other at Ft. Bragg, CA, soon to be relocated somewhere near me.

Thanks for accepting me to this site, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and hopefully some answers too.

Xoloski
If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.
Ferdinand Porsche
yudan

Post by yudan »

Hello everyone my name is Yudan from Indonesia I proudly ride '62 bug
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Welcome all!!

doc
ridwaangallow

Post by ridwaangallow »

Hi, my name is Ridwaan Gallow

I own a 1991 T3 VW Transporter (or Kombi, as known in RSA).. its was originally a 2.1i but after blowing a whole in the engine block, the previous owner dropped a 2.2, 5 cylinder Passat engine into it.. so there are allot of things that i am scratching my head about & would appreciate any advice on such conversions..

I am self employed as a welder & love working with my hands. I try to fix things myself & do not like saying"i cant", or"i dont know"..

Thanks
Man driving VW smiles allot
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!

An inline 5 was a SA only factory model upgrade (no idea of the years, 91 IIRC was last year for Vanagon in USA), hopefully PO also swapped in the larger brakes etc it came with, may have also had a taller transmission gearset and 16" wheels.

Folks here would absolutely love to have that setup, the SA Vanagon big brake kits and uprated front suspension bits are ~hot items. The inline 5 would be a great upgrade.

You might find more info in the type5 or Bus forum, (T5=WBX based, but most Vanagon folk are there)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
jmcmahon24

Post by jmcmahon24 »

Hello, New to VWs in general just got a 73 beetle project gonna be time consuming but looking forward to learning and building a baja look a like lol
Lobsterloaf

Post by Lobsterloaf »

Hey, I'm Ben.

Live in Queensland, Australia. Im newish to the vw world, before I became the owner of my 72 squareback I had never researched or known anything about the wonderful world of vw. I've had cinnamon (my lobster coloured SB) for about 8 months now and it's my daily driver and driving her is such a joy. I know what I want to do with it (T4 Conversion) but I honestly have no clue how to get there.

Luckily for me all you dubbers are beyond helpful and have a genuine enthusiasm you cant help but catch.

My car and spotting yours on the road make me smile and my girlfriend thinks I'm a dork when I spot a beetle up the road and get ready to wave.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Hello, Jim here, with my first Beetle. It's a 1965 Sedan that was purchased in 1974 by the father of my wife's high school friend. It stayed there, until 1983 when another friend of my wife bought it. Fast forward to last week, and now it's ours.

The car came with two motors, the one in the car is an early 1967, 1500cc and the other is a mid year 1964, 1200cc that was in the car when purchased in 1974. The consensus among those more knowledgeable​ than me, is that the early motor is not the factory motor. The car itself is an early 65 build.

I'm undecided as of yet whether go with the 64 or 67 motor or maybe get a 65 short block.

Anyway, here it is.
1614463.jpg
1614463.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Viva.sabata

Post by Viva.sabata »

Hello,

Tad here from Alaska. After chasing my high school swimmer kids around, we have decided to roll our 1987 vanagon full camper into our retirement plan. I found this forum by figuring out the nuances of overhauling my waterboxer. Great stuff here. I'm an old SBC gear head and this will be my first VW engine build.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Viva.sabata wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm Hello,

Tad here from Alaska. After chasing my high school swimmer kids around, we have decided to roll our 1987 vanagon full camper into our retirement plan. I found this forum by figuring out the nuances of overhauling my waterboxer. Great stuff here. I'm an old SBC gear head and this will be my first VW engine build.
Tad welcome to STF, great bunch of people in here, glad to have you.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Lobsterloaf wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:11 pm Hey, I'm Ben.

Live in Queensland, Australia. Im newish to the vw world, before I became the owner of my 72 squareback I had never researched or known anything about the wonderful world of vw. I've had cinnamon (my lobster coloured SB) for about 8 months now and it's my daily driver and driving her is such a joy. I know what I want to do with it (T4 Conversion) but I honestly have no clue how to get there.

Luckily for me all you dubbers are beyond helpful and have a genuine enthusiasm you cant help but catch.

My car and spotting yours on the road make me smile and my girlfriend thinks I'm a dork when I spot a beetle up the road and get ready to wave.

Welcome, Ben!
Yep, it's a disease, but there are worse :lol:

There's pretty thorough coverage on how to swap a t4 into a T3 in the T3 forum, several of us have gone there.
My 73 square (Currently with a 1.8 with megasquirt 3 running things) is my daily commuter ride, at least 80 miles a day.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
redneckgearhead

Post by redneckgearhead »

Hey everyone. I wandered into this site by pure accident, actually I wandered into the world of vw on pure accident. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine asked if I'd be interested in a dune buggy. My first questions were if course what is it and how much. Well the answer of vw dune buggy and free got my attention. So I brought it home much to my wife's chagrin. So far I have got the engine to fire and am working on the brakes and suspension currently. Come to find out the former owner has owned it for at least a decade and has not touched it so he wanted it gone. It's a 61 chasis with I'm assuming a home made cage around it. It came with a spare dual port motor and a spare 091 transmission (I think). Just wanted to say hey. I'm still reading and learning.

I may be picking up a 71 this weekend for the trailing arm rear.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201705 ... 912579.jpg[/IMG]