A Collection of How To Do Threads

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
david58

Re: A Collection of How To Do Threads

Post by david58 »

Still looking for How To's here guys and gal's.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Needs a link of one absolutely required reading how-NOT-to...

How not to burn down your VW...
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 1&t=126942
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
david58

Post by david58 »

Done Thanks Piledriver
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Stray Catalyst

Post by Stray Catalyst »

I'm fairly desperate for a "how to choose a head within a budget" and "how to rebuild a used head" if anybody feels like posting those...

Stray
david58

Post by david58 »

Stray Catalyst wrote:I'm fairly desperate for a "how to choose a head within a budget" and "how to rebuild a used head" if anybody feels like posting those...

Stray
Start a thread and let's see where it goes.
red neck

Post by red neck »

How to soften a ride on my allison buggy help
Bugzie

Post by Bugzie »

red neck wrote:How to soften a ride on my allison buggy help.
I'll second that. Mine rides like a covered-wagon.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=144525

This is a recent discussion on the subject that may be of some value. The subject may not be exactly what you want but there are enough cornels of information here for you to digest and get some ideas.

Also, a couple of things to consider is the placement of the fuel tank as the weight of it up front can make some difference in making your decision.

The wheel base (80" vs. 95" wheel base) can/may/could affect your decision as well as use; e.g., street, track/auto-cross, off-road or any combinations of several or all.

There are other ideas such as removing leaves or "nicking" the leaves to cause them to break after installation but I don't recommend either of those ways. You can do a search and find several others discussions on the subject but this is not answering what you wanted... a good single collection of information.

Also remember, if you have the bucks then there are a couple of companies making IFS conversions.

More information but not your question:

Don't forget to stiffen up the perimeter/body mount tunnel: once the bug body is removed and the body is not there to support the pan it is severely weakened and can bend in the front of the tunnel or start to fracture in the e-brake area like mine did. By adding the stiffener is does make a difference by keeping the pan halves from flexing and, if you do get rid of the looks only "show bar" and put a cage in with side bars for your protection, it adds more support for the pan plus protect you and your passengers. There is a commercial stiffener for the stock VW pan (http://evhcompany.com/) that may be able to modified to work on the buggy

or you can make your own which is what I did. Kerf bending in this case but I also tried to heat bend the support which did work just not as need. You have to be sure that you don't put a warp in the tube as you bend it but it can be done.

http://www.mooreparts.com/store/search.asp

Also don't forget to add the front beam support, preferably both the lower and upper tubes. They strengthen/support the beam as well as support the frame head.

Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than you paid for it so act accordingly.

(I don't think this belongs here so if the mod wants to move it... it is OK with me.)
asteff1

Post by asteff1 »

Thanks for the thread, this is really useful!
Dan keyser

Post by Dan keyser »

Hi I have a couple of questions I have a 1900 wasserboxer and I am looking into building a performance oxyboxer can some one assist what would be the best sleaves to fit the porch 914 sleaves or something els
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

T1 jugs get the od//bottom shortened a bit due to register height, need adapters to fit in the stock registers.
The studs probably also need relocated depending on what heads you plan to use.

There is likely a basic how-to at the top of the wbx//type 5 forum, but the pictures may be MIA due to a forum move and Photobucket changing their terms of service and breaking a lot of folks photo links..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
LennyFunnels

Post by LennyFunnels »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:32 am..the pictures may be MIA due to a forum move and Photobucket changing their terms of service and breaking a lot of folks photo links..
Photobucket definitely messed their user base.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 0#p1266888

This gives some ideas on matching and joining tubes.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Spherical rod end visual layout.

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I got thinking about the discussion on front K&L (link-pin) conversion using spherical rod ends (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... start=1650) so I went out and took some pictures using the ends that I have.
spherical rod end loading copy.jpg
This is a markup of the idea Pete posted. I got looking at it and got wondering so I went, as I said above and took some pictures of the rod end I have waiting to be used in another situation.
IMG_1389 copy.jpg
This is what the rod end looks like in a flat situation...
IMG_1383 copy.jpg
… and this is what it looks like with a drift pin in place to show angles.
IMG_1385 copy.jpg
IMG_1386 copy.jpg
This shows max angle that is limited by the drift pin hitting the housing.
IMG_1387 copy.jpg
This is a plan view of the max angle also showing rotation of the "ball". Notice how the amount of ball in the housing changes with angle.
IMG_1388 copy.jpg
This shows the ball rotated 90° from the horizontal position. I wonder if this is how the ball is pressed into the housing.

Food for thought maybe.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.