please help with my vw trike

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
trailortrash

please help with my vw trike

Post by trailortrash »

hello and thanks

I just got this 1968 trike and don't know allot about it but the motor no. is AH196046
can you tell me what the motor is with these numbers?

ps
tried to upload photos but there to big for here.
they did say it was a 68 1300 cc. not sure

[img]trike%20small[/img]
Marc

Re: please help with my vw trike

Post by Marc »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=127818

The engine codeletter tells us what the configuration was the day it left the factory, but after 40 years a lot can change - there's a great deal of interchangeability when it comes to engine cases. All `68s sold in the US market had 1493cc engines with singleport (siamesed intake ports) heads, codeletter "H" (H5xxxxxxx to be more specific, "H0xxxxxx" and "H1xxxxxx" were also 1500SP but used a different case alloy). In many countries there were several engine choices, but the US market always received the largest one available (usually the first or second most powerful, within the restrictions of US emission controls). The only 1300 (1285cc) ever sold in the US was in 1966 (codeletter "F", case essentially the same as the "H0"). 1300 pistons/cylinders will fit into a 1500 or 1600 case, but they're smaller O.D. at the head so 15/1600 heads won't fit right without machinework or spacer rings - it's not a popular combination, but it's been done. In Europe there was a 1300DP available; its heads are just like 1600DP except for the bore - but I digress, the point is that there are some oddball combinations possible which are difficult if not impossible to discern on an assembled engine...and that's without even considering the plethora of aftermarket internal parts that are available. Larger-than-stock pistons/cylinders come in a range of sizes, some of which don't even require machinework to install; longer-stroke crankshafts typically add to the complexity of the build so they aren't as popular outside of the racing crowd, but they're out there.

"AH" denotes a 1585cc dualport (each cylinder has its own intake port). Your case is 1973/74 vintage, but that's all we can tell from the codeletter. The H5 case alloy was so pathetically inferior that few of those cases are still around other than as doorstops, it would not be unusual to find a "1968" engine that had its case replaced with a newer/better one.
Dualport engines debuted in Beetles/Buses for the 1971 model year (the first ones to the US were "AE") and besides the heads also received a larger intake manifold & carburetor and a much-improved cooling system. The carb is a 34PICT-3, the manifold is three pieces with aluminum end castings. The oil cooler was moved from within the airstream to the LH cylinders towards the firewall and provided with its own supply of cooling air from a wider, larger-capacity fan - there's a distinctive hump ("doghouse") on the firewall side of the shroud and a duct to route spent air from the cooler out over the transaxle.
trailortrash

Post by trailortrash »

Marc wrote:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=127818

The engine codeletter tells us what the configuration was the day it left the factory, but after 40 years a lot can change - there's a great deal of interchangeability when it comes to engine cases. All `68s sold in the US market had 1493cc engines with singleport (siamesed intake ports) heads, codeletter "H" (H5xxxxxxx to be more specific, "H0xxxxxx" and "H1xxxxxx" were also 1500SP but used a different case alloy). In many countries there were several engine choices, but the US market always received the largest one available (usually the first or second most powerful, within the restrictions of US emission controls). The only 1300 (1285cc) ever sold in the US was in 1966 (codeletter "F", case essentially the same as the "H0"). 1300 pistons/cylinders will fit into a 1500 or 1600 case, but they're smaller O.D. at the head so 15/1600 heads won't fit right without machinework or spacer rings - it's not a popular combination, but it's been done. In Europe there was a 1300DP available; its heads are just like 1600DP except for the bore - but I digress, the point is that there are some oddball combinations possible which are difficult if not impossible to discern on an assembled engine...and that's without even considering the plethora of aftermarket internal parts that are available. Larger-than-stock pistons/cylinders come in a range of sizes, some of which don't even require machinework to install; longer-stroke crankshafts typically add to the complexity of the build so they aren't as popular outside of the racing crowd, but they're out there.

"AH" denotes a 1585cc dualport (each cylinder has its own intake port). Your case is 1973/74 vintage, but that's all we can tell from the codeletter. The H5 case alloy was so pathetically inferior that few of those cases are still around other than as doorstops, it would not be unusual to find a "1968" engine that had its case replaced with a newer/better one.
Dualport engines debuted in Beetles/Buses for the 1971 model year (the first ones to the US were "AE") and besides the heads also received a larger intake manifold & carburetor and a much-improved cooling system. The carb is a 34PICT-3, the manifold is three pieces with aluminum end castings. The oil cooler was moved from within the airstream to the LH cylinders towards the firewall and provided with its own supply of cooling air from a wider, larger-capacity fan - there's a distinctive hump ("doghouse") on the firewall side of the shroud and a duct to route spent air from the cooler out over the transaxle.
Thanks for the info ,Is there any other numbers on the motor i can get to see what heads and trans axle are? and where would i find them?
Marc

Post by Marc »

The heads (assuming they aren't aftermarket) will have casting numbers on the floor of the rocker boxes...but again they only tell us what they were when born, there's a possibility (however slight) that the seats have been replaced and/or the ports have been reworked. 98% of the time all you need to know is what you can see from the outside, whether they have a single intake port or one for each cylinder.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=99606