Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Danilo

Post by Danilo »

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member to the forum and introduce myself
I am the lucky owner of a 1303 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick 1976
I live in Italy and I own the convertible for 25 years and I'm renovating,
I joined here to find information to improve its engine currently dismantled in 1600 and of course to share my passion with you :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Danilo on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherneck

Re: new member

Post by Leatherneck »

Welcome to STF. Lots of great info and even more people to help you out, these guys are good! BUT one rule you have to post pics of what your talking about otherwise you loose their attention, short attention span they have. Again welcome to STF
Danilo

Post by Danilo »

Hi, as soon as I send a photo of the Cabrio in bodywork, I must recreate them the engine and would like to increase a little the displacement is now 1600, I don't know if putting 85.5 x 74 or 76 or 90 x 69, I already have 32\/36 and 100, progressive 009 engle.
I would put external cartridge oil filter and cooler, my pump Autostick is from 26, should I use the fit between carter and the original oil cooler?
In the past I had already with the 1835 and engle 120 but the engine was brief.
Thanks for the replies and the attention Danilo
Danilo

Post by Danilo »

Ciao Leatherneck
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!
AA makes "thick wall" 92mm cylinders now.
They use the 94mm cylinder head cut and can be had with various case-side sizes down to the std 90.5 case opening size.

With the thick wall 92s, an 1835 can be a reliable, long lasting engine, they are even recommended for VW bus.
Stroker 92mm pistons are also available if you wish to go large.

The autostick makes adding a full flow filter difficult on a T1, might want to ask about that in the T1 forums.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The AutoStick transmission is a liability for high-performance work. Unless you have a physical limitation which prevents you from driving a manual transmission, the first thing you should be doing is converting. Even with no engine modifications, a 4-speed car will always outperform an AutoStick.

AutoSticks and large-displacement, high-torque engines are not a good match. I would not build the engine any larger than 1879cc (88x69). Do not use the "slip-in" 88mm cylinders which require no machine work, they are too thin for reliability.

Viable choices are cylinders which require opening up both the case & heads, or those which fit an unmachined case and heads which have been opened up to the customary size for 90.5 or 92mm cylinders. The latter are thicker than stock 85.5mm cylinders and would be my first choice, but the others are still thick enough to give long service.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

welcome to the site.
Danilo

Post by Danilo »

Hello,
thanks for the greetings and responses
I am paraplegic because of a road accident and then I have to drive with your hands,
in many years of wheelchair I drove and still drive with clutch electro hydraulic, electrical, air or automatic transmission, cars karts quads etc etc,
years ago I had a 5-speed gearbox in 1302 with the Porsche 911, was a former rally car on which I installed a hydraulic clutch, of course, was snappy and fun but also very stressful to conduct in traffic, also these clutches do not always work well and are also very expensive,
I think, in my case, not worth remove autostick for a manual gearbox with 4 gears, I just want a little more power and torque, and I take this opportunity now that I have the engine fully open and in any case I have to face the spending to regenerate
I thought precisely to a 1775 or 1835, or 85.5 x 74 or 76mm
I still have doubts about the cooling and filtering oil, what is really needed with these combinations of engine?
all the advice and opinion are welcome
regards
Danilo

Post by Marc »

The AutoStick uses a compact clutch inside (quite expensive to replace). In normal usage it doesn't take much of a beating since the torque converter handles most of the engagement shock, but its engagement speed must be modulated by the vacuum bleedoff rate of the control solenoid.
The stock carburetor provides a vacuum signal to the solenoid so that engagement is gentle/slow under light loads but rapid (to limit slippage) when accelerating hard.
Without that signal, engagement tends to be harsh - particularly when you first release the shifter when taking off from a standing start. If the control valve is adjusted to allow going into Reverse without a big clunk, engagement will be slow under all conditions which increases wear on the clutch significantly.
Better IMO to leave the control valve adjustment alone, and rig a momentary bypass for the neutral safety switch which will allow starting the engine in gear so that the transmission mounts will last longer.

With stock heads and heat exchangers, keeping the displacement in the 1700cc range and selecting a mild cam would be wise in my opinion. 88x69 would be the easiest/least expensive way to go; with the strokers you'll encounter issues (engine width, pushrod length, possible need for internal clearancing) that won't come up with the stock stroke. 1775cc (90.5x69) is a little bit bigger than I'd recommend, but should give you torque comparable to that of 85.5x76 with fewer assembly hassles.

Get a nice valvejob done, and install steel shims under the valvesprings. Mild intake port work is worth doing; at minimum make sure that the manifolds & heads are port-matched.

With the AutoStick oil pump it's possible to add a full-flow filter, but it's trickier to do since you have to drill & tap the case for both the "out" and "in" lines. Without welding additional material to the case it's potentially a weak point...and #4 main bearing still receives unfiltered oil: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/802206.jpg

The stock "doghouse" cooler setup is hard to beat and is all that most engines will ever need - switching to an external cooler solely for the purpose of adding an inline filter isn't a very good idea. The filter won't be a true "full-flow", either, since it'll be bypassed during engine warmup (when most wear particles are generated).

One possible way to plumb a full-flow filter would be by using an aftermarket return fitting which goes into the oil-pump-end pressure control valve bore, and taking the "dirty" oil out through a fitting at the point which is normally used for the return - this arrangement would require that a plug be installed inside that passage. #4 main still doesn't get filtered oil, and the pressure control valve is eliminated which will slow oil warmup some. This fitting: http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13163

One other option would be to install an aftermarket sump with provision for a pickup-side filter element, like Citroen 2CV's use....I'm not a proponent of this setup, but I suppose it could work if maintained regularly: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDet ... tCode=1709

All things considered, for this application I'd probably forego adding any filter - millions of VWs have managed without one for many years. Use a magnetic drainplug, or just epoxy a strong magnet to the bottom of the sump plate, to catch ferrous particles.

A "bypass" type filter (Frantz, for example) could also be used, but in my experience they're prone to reducing hot-idle oil pressure to unacceptable levels unless used with a higher-volume pump, not an option for the AutoStick.
Danilo

Post by Danilo »

Hello to all,
I probably will get a 1776, maybe by doing so put in crisis the clutch but I thought to myself that it will be the best choice
regarding heads with valves 35 x 32 I would like a few more tips from you, I saw the mofoco 040's and I appear to be suitable for my needs but maybe you I can recommend other, some tell me to put the original and others with large valves
thank you
Danilo
Marc

Post by Marc »

I really don't think you'll need big-valve heads, especially if you plan to keep the 32/36 Weber carb and use a sensible cam. 35.5x32 with a nice valvejob should be fine; I wouldn't even do much intake port work on this one, just port-match the manifolds to the heads.
This will still work OK with stock heater boxes, too.

40x36 valves aren't going to give you much more power in the "usable" range with restricted carburetion & mild cam, but I don't think they'd hurt much - just an unnecessary expense in this case.

So long as you are aware of the limitations of the clutch and show it some respect (avoid full-throttle shifts & minimize slippage) it should hold up OK to a mild 1775.