Driver's Side Mirror Glass Install - help please!

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Jim Ed

Driver's Side Mirror Glass Install - help please!

Post by Jim Ed »

Does anyone have any tips on replacing the mirror glass for the side mirror on the outside of the door?
Mine is sort of 'spotty' and definitely is showing it's age after 43 years.
I was thinking:
remove the mirror
break the mirror glass and clean it up
replace the mirror glass with this:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volk ... glass,6484

I was going to use Seal-All contact adhesive & sealant to glue the mirror glass in and temporarily hold it in place with rubber bands until the glue has dried.
Any ideas?
Any help is appreciated!
ALYKAT III

Re: Driver's Side Mirror Glass Install - help please!

Post by ALYKAT III »

Sometimes it is best to call a pro. Contact a local glass shop and ask for a quote. By the time you buy and get shipped from RA you will probably be well over $25. Then you still have to buy the adhesive, do the work, hope it doesn't break, and hope it doesn't fall off. Just my two cents worth.
Marc

Re: Driver's Side Mirror Glass Install - help please!

Post by Marc »

If your mirror head is OEM chrome or stainless steel and still "tight" everywhere, replacing the glass as planned should be worth the effort - it's $50 or more for a reproduction of comparable quality.
For ~$30 you can get a cheaper chrome repop - but the chrome-plating is notoriously poor so you'll need to keep it waxed.
Hopefully the Rock Auto replacement glass is faithful to the shape. If it's slightly undersized, simply filling the gap with RTV should work.