Clutch

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Muerte

Clutch

Post by Muerte »

I recently became an above the knee amputee on my left leg. The trike has a foot pedal clutch, I can’t run the clutch due to the prosthetic. Does anybody know if they make a conversion kit to run the clutch up to the left lever on the handlebar? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am dying to get back on the road and right again!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Clutch

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I wonder if a lever operated, mounted on the handle bars, hydraulic clutch setup could be made. It shouldn't be too hard one would think just matching the master and slave sizes to reduce the amount of pressure needed when squeezing the handle by hand.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hy ... &FORM=IGRE

I did a search on hydraulic clutch conversions for motorcycles with VW transaxles and the above is part of what I got but I am not sure about a lot of it as it does get into pedal operated quite quickly.

When I changed the search title by adding "hand operated" to the same search text then I got nothing. I have done the hydraulic slave conversion at the rear of a buggy but the big problem would be the proper sizing of the Master cylinder that is operated by the clutch lever or (maybe) rotating the grip on the steering handle that would be the problem.

This is another search: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hy ... &FORM=IGRE

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I would go to a motorcycle swap meet and pick up a Harley Clutch M/C and all the handlebar mounting hardware. They put out a lot of torque and probably need a clutch close to what a stock vw engine would need.
If you get a diaphram clutch instead of the stock style spring clutch it will take less throw and the Motorcycle M/C might have enough fluid movement to make it work. A Stage I Kennedy might be what you need. It takes very little throw to disengage.
All you can do is try it by trial and error.

Where do you live????

Next time I go to the Re-cycle store I'll see if they have one there.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.