Hello, I git the bug again,

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Skyscotty

Hello, I git the bug again,

Post by Skyscotty »

Hi folks , I grew up around VWs, culminating with building a lot of Baja’s and sand Rails in the early 80s, (when u could find rust bombs for $50.

Now that the kids are gone I got time to play now and then, I bought a sandrail last week with a 66 kingpin front end a 66 bus tranny and a 71 1600 dualport. Engine runs well and the compression is good, but it is stock. This is a street legal buggy.

Think I’ll build another engine this winter when it cools off a bit, but for now, I’m looking at trying to boost the power in the engine I’ve got. What’s the best bang for the buck, carbs, exhaust etc ??
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Hello, I git the bug again,

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It might be a good "Bug" to get into again.

Where do you ride and what do you expect to do (in other words... how hard do you want to push things?)? A lot of answers here for a lot of different problems.

Lee
Skyscotty

Post by Skyscotty »

Lee, I’m not talking about anything to crazy on this engine. Mainly just bolt on stuff.

This winter I’ll probable get a little nuttier with an engine build ;)

Scott
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Scott, where are/will you be riding in the "sand rail". Depending on where and if it is in the sand may be one or more things but "sand rails" aka "tube buggies" and other names, depending on where you live, can be driven off-road, on the street or in "who knows were".

Mild engines can work in any of these places but so can beefed up engines.

We have two "sand rails" in our group and there were two others that are now gone plus my aged glass buggy. Each of them are has been constructed and powered a bit different but each gets us out and back... usually in good shape. Basically each was built for a bit different use depending on the person or in one case the persons driving's needs and skills.

http://vw-resource.com/years.html

A K&L beam is good for longer frontend travel, stock something like 10" but some changes need to be done for safety)
vw swing axle.jpg
A swing axle has a limitation of something like 9" of travel but in certain instances that is giving it a lot more credit than I think is good.

Ball-joint frontend beams ('66 and later) have some very big limitations of travel and use but need some modifications.
vw-swing-axle-irs[1].jpg
In '68 the swing axle was replaced by the IRS which has more travel potential without some of the big drawbacks.

There are a lot more things so just ask as there are a lot of answers here.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... il+rebuild

This is one of the rails I was talking about. K&L and Swing suspension. Maybe some ideas here.

It is in the (long) process of being finished as it is being setup for the ladies of the group. Brakes and turning brakes I think are now plumbed (problems with how it was originally setup and how it now needs to be setup now) then wiring and fixing a leak or two in the engine.
Skyscotty

Post by Skyscotty »

Probabably best to describe this buggy as a “street buggy” Lee. I live in Florida and I’m sure 95% plus I will be using this one to run around and take the wife up to dinner etc. I might fun off on a trail here and there, but I won’t be jumping over hay bails or anything.

Like I said, I want to mainly just do whatever boot ons I can on this engine to get some more power out of it, without breaking the bank or blowing the engine up. Not talking about nitrous or turbo on this one.

Meanwhile, I show a pic of my buggy to one of my customers and she says, “I’ve got one of those in my pasture, that my ex had, Ill sell it cheap”.

My wife is gonna flip if I bring another home, lol.

Scott
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Scott, that was what I wanted to know. 8) Advice needs an origin level and that is what you just gave. This is going to be a "diagonal' discussion" … across the country: you are in Florida, the mostly flat land of the continuous sun and heat while I am in western Washington the land of continuous rain and mountains. :wink: :lol:

Based on what you wrote the suspension setup sounds about right for a fun street rail. A stock-ish motor should be just fine but still allow you enough poop to scare your wife :roll: :twisted: :lol: (Bwahahahaha!).

Waiting for pictures. and more details.

Lee
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Buy stuff that can be used on the next engine. Dual carbs. Jetted for now,can be re-jetted later on. Ratio rockers and solid shafts can be used the next build. Header.Save your cash for some good heads. Don't bolt on huge tires unless you have the gearing to pull em.