accelerator pedal, Gas pedal cable tube.

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
jonnyrock66

accelerator pedal, Gas pedal cable tube.

Post by jonnyrock66 »

Hi all,

Got a problem with my cable tube to pedal. See photos.

So its rotted through and broken. No really sure what to do. Could I sleeve it and P clamp to floor or is there a better solution?

It obviously affecting the use of pedal.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Jon
Jadewombat

Re: accelerator pedal, Gas pedal cable tube.

Post by Jadewombat »

Is that a nylon sleeve or metal?
jonnyrock66

Post by jonnyrock66 »

Jadewombat wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm Is that a nylon sleeve or metal?
Hi there, is metal. Rotted out and broke.

When you use accelerator pedal, because the cable is not fixed in tube, there is too much play. pedal not returning to idle position when you lift off.

If that makes sense.

Jon
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

OK, that makes sense. You have two (maybe more, but also more elaborate) options to start with:

-Buy an off-road universal nylon and heavy duty cable, drill a small hole just next to the stock tube, run the nylon tube and cable through the car and cut to length

Or

-Cut a short steel tube the same diameter as the stock tube (a few inches it looks like) and an even shorter tube just slightly bigger diameter to sleeve the new tube and rusted tube together, tack weld them together, etc.
jonnyrock66

Post by jonnyrock66 »

Jadewombat wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm OK, that makes sense. You have two (maybe more, but also more elaborate) options to start with:

-Buy an off-road universal nylon and heavy duty cable, drill a small hole just next to the stock tube, run the nylon tube and cable through the car and cut to length

Or

-Cut a short steel tube the same diameter as the stock tube (a few inches it looks like) and an even shorter tube just slightly bigger diameter to sleeve the new tube and rusted tube together, tack weld them together, etc.
Thanks for that, I was thinking along the same lines. That will be this weekends job then.

Many thanks.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Good suggestions. Do the metal patch tube. Ray
jonnyrock66

Post by jonnyrock66 »

raygreenwood wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 pm Good suggestions. Do the metal patch tube. Ray
Thanks Ray, think I may have to go all the way and remove cable so might as well replace with new and do a proper with the tube.

Think my accelerator pedal my need some work to. It's not returning back to idle position. I will take it off over next few days and have a look.

Is there an alternative pedal set up to use if my box on the floor is knackered?

Thanks Jon
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

The box should be fine. If you have an automatic, that box has your kickdown switch inside. The switch can get corroded. If it cannot be cleaned up you can replace the switch with a leaf style microswitch. Ray
jonnyrock66

Post by jonnyrock66 »

raygreenwood wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 pm The box should be fine. If you have an automatic, that box has your kickdown switch inside. The switch can get corroded. If it cannot be cleaned up you can replace the switch with a leaf style microswitch. Ray
Thank you Ray.

I managed to sort it.