411/412 racecar pictures

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
vwbill

Post by vwbill »

I was going to do the HD oil pump upgrade but when I got the pump it was so much heavier then the stock pump! It felt like four times as heavy! Why does the volumn matter over the cooler size or fan or air flow or sump size? bill
func412

Post by func412 »

I just came home from the race and we climbed up to the 5th position. There were 15 teams altogether. The oil temps were between 65-90 C when we drove like maniacs, so the upgrade worked very nice. Outdoor temperature was from 14 to 20 C. In the normal drive the oil temps didn´t climb over the 50 C, so the thermostat is needed then.

And here are some pictures for you to taste. More pics coming soon.

http://www.partanen.net/gallery/thumbna ... ?album=224

EDIT: Some grammar.
Last edited by func412 on Sun May 20, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwbill

Post by vwbill »

Thx!! Thx!! Thx!! Some great pics!!! Looks like a great time at the raceway!!! Thanks for the post of a 411/412 guys dream day!! Bill
p.s.What kinda speeds are we talking about??
func412

Post by func412 »

Here´s some more http://picasaweb.google.fi/vwtyp2/Urtsi20071

That circuit is not very fast. That´s good, because we´re fast in corners. Top speed was about 160 km/h.
func412

Post by func412 »

vwbill wrote:I was going to do the HD oil pump upgrade but when I got the pump it was so much heavier then the stock pump! It felt like four times as heavy! Why does the volumn matter over the cooler size or fan or air flow or sump size? bill
You must have had a steel bodied pump. Alloy pump is not that heavy.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Very cool pics!
and very well done with the 5th place!!!

copied two to be displayed here:

Doesn't this look better than a bug? 8)
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
func412

Post by func412 »

Thanks.

Great pictures keeps on coming.

http://www.volkkaripalsta.com/tapahtuma ... index.html

Some drama included, because of the oil on the track.

ubercrap

Post by ubercrap »

Simply awesome pics! So you are pretty fast in the corners compared to the Beetles, Type 3s, etc...?
vwbill

Post by vwbill »

Some more great pics!!! I love the pic of you getting loose from the oil!
Do you guys have classes or weight types or engine size groups? What are you running? Looks like a really fun time!! Do you guys rent the track or is it a public day? Any movies coming?? What are the safety requirement?? THanks again for the great post!! So ho did the 412 handle?? Bill
func412

Post by func412 »

Yes, we´re a bit faster in the corners than the beetles. I think it is a result of the big 4W disc brakes, the longer wheel base and the better suspension system.
vwbill wrote: Do you guys have classes or weight types or engine size groups? What are you running?
This 6 hour endurance is ment for the VW based cars which has a VW aircooled engine. The engine size is free as everything else in the car performance. We drive 1700 cc :lol: Maybe 100 hp.
vwbill wrote: Do you guys rent the track or is it a public day?
Well, one team (Bogey Racing) is renting this track and arranges all practical things. All teams takes responsibility also, like flagging, cleaning etc.
vwbill wrote: Any movies coming??
Yes, I think so. Our team has some visual material also, but I haven´t got them yet.
vwbill wrote: What are the safety requirement??
This is more and more important issue, becase the cars have become faster every year. We have to have a roll gage, racing clothes, 6 point safety belts, helmets, and some more things, which are reguired in the Finnish road racing serie.
vwbill wrote: So ho did the 412 handle??
Good: car is in good balance, good brakes, engine reliability, easy to handle.

Must improve: Tail was loose, the steering is too slow, shifter is loose, too much weight, engine too low and lack of engine power... and some more little things.
jfe

Post by jfe »

func412 wrote:
Must improve: Tail was loose, the steering is too slow, shifter is loose, too much weight, engine too low and lack of engine power... and some more little things.
yes, i think that, me too... :lol: but i love drive my 411 on raceway.

Jani: good pics and good control !! thank oil.

For me, I installed my pump for EFI. this week, my fuel regulator must arrived. electricity still should be checked. And i will start engine with a Mégasquirt.

jeremy
func412

Post by func412 »

Jeremy, good to see your car improving. Make sure that the fuel connections and lines does handle the EFI fuel pressure. I don´t want to see your car on fire.
jfe

Post by jfe »

Yes Jani, a line is a special hight pressure. Before to drive with a carburator, with an original D-jet, i used this line @ 28psi.
Actually, I have checked @ 50psi (3.5kg) during 15 min.
i would used only @ 32psi.

i think so good...

me too, i not would to see to burn my car... :?

jeremy
jfe

Post by jfe »

fuel regulator inside ok

first start only @ 900rpm :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn6cteqe1I

jeremy
func412

Post by func412 »