Let's see your Karmann Ghia

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Chrys

Re: Let's see your Karmann Ghia

Post by Chrys »

My 1963 vert.
SSSHHH!!! She thinks she's a Porsche!

Roadcow

Post by Roadcow »

Here's my 69 Bonneville Ghia ran 122mph last year in the 130 Club races.

The dash was in it when I bought the car! Not my idea!

Towing home in the Sierras

SammehDx

Post by SammehDx »

Just got my Ghia a few weeks ago. I live in AZ but I got it shipped down from Washington. Yay for an awesome first car? It's a '65.

Interior. :) Needs some work but I think overall pretty good condition.

After I finished buffing the heck out of the rear trying to get the oxidized paint off.

Still haven't completely buffed the front.. it's a tiring task.

My first ever shot of the car. Way dirty off of the truck... but here you can see the wheels and the rust spots. This is the worst side for rust.. the other side is pretty okay on rust but not so much on bondo. xD

I'm looking to restore as best as I can... I don't know where to start. I've got the rear bumper, a ton of trim pieces, and a box of misc parts. The car runs great, too. I've also got some cash left from the purchase and transport.. so suggestions on what to buy and stuff would be greatly appreciated. I've never restored a car before and neither has my dad. So.. yeah. :)
h2odrx

Post by h2odrx »

here's where we found hers....They have a 72 and bought this one to fix, lucky for us they don't have the time....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Ghia Vert
NC State law defines biodiesel as ''any fuel or mixture of fuels derived in whole or in part from agricultural products or animal fats or wastes from these products or fats.''
Ruffrider

Post by Ruffrider »

Mine's ( or should I say my wife's) is still in progress.

Newbie to Ghia's
Previous VWs: 67 bug, 71 411, 74 SuperBettle

Project 71 Karmann Ghia
bunkington

Post by bunkington »

Here is mine - It is a 72. I bought it in 2009. I knew it was a "ten-footer" a.k.a. "good from far but far from good" - but I got an OK price, and I have been looking for a vert for a long time. My parents had a 55 that they imported to the U.S. from Germany (in 55) when there were no ghias in the states. My dad did it to sell, because apparently there was a wait for them here. But, my mom drove it into the garage door, and there was no profit after that.
The original engine ran OK, but had a horrible habit of dieseling on shut down, which means it was running really hot. Never did figure out why - so I pulled it, and tore it down. Not good.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/650223.jpg
Rebuilt it - 2054cc, 8.3:1, 041 heads, engle 110, 40 DRLA's rebuilt by ACE. Nice 010 rebuilt by Glenn Ring
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/724907.jpg
Runs strong, but the clutch (stock) slips when you get into it. Once it gets really cold, I will pull the engine and put in a stage 1.
I just got some used 911 seats installed, which may be the best single thing I have done so far.

Next steps, mod the dash to put in my gauges from a Porsche 912,
install the new discs and drums so I can bolt up the Fuchs that I spend 20 hours polishing, and maybe a new steering wheel (I have one of those little leather wheels now - feels great, but just looks wrong). I guess my goal is "what if Porsche had made the ghia?"

Eventually, the body will have to come off, and i am scared of what is under that red paint. That probably won't happen for a few years, however. Just want to drive it for a while.
Thanks
Peter
bt

Post by bt »

painted

ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Holy cross-breed bt ! I think a 356 snuck into your barn ! .... Oh, I love it , by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt

Post by bt »

Thanks. There are some pre-painted pics on (or about) page three of this thread
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

Well' I picked up a pretty rough 67 last weekend. Has a lot of rust out and a seized engine. On the plus side, there are new patch panels inside the car, I found 2 other chopped up Ghia shells nearby that have clean metal in the areas needing repair, and I'm in at a very reasonable price. Now I just have to decide wether to repair it or salvage it out, which was the original plan when I bought it.
vwo60

Post by vwo60 »

This is my 60 model, bought it off a long time owner, have worked on it for weeks to get it to this stage
digitalkid56

Post by digitalkid56 »

1965 From Cali to Hawaii..

bt

Post by bt »

nooice!!! stance Digital, "Praise the Lowered"
zippyghia

Post by zippyghia »

Here's my '72, running a 2276 putting out 180 Bhp, pro street box and 17" BRM's on a 4" narrowed beam. Not everones cup of tea, but I love it :D
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae43 ... ewghia.jpg
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae43 ... dog008.jpg
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

One day I hope to have mine look like this (photoshopped):
Build started about 3 weeks ago.
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/