Karman Sutra

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Steve Arndt

Re: Karman Sutra

Post by Steve Arndt »

Have you done any data logs while driving when the problem occurs? Any sensors dropping out of normal range, losing trigger sync, etc?
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

It's not in the electronics Steve. It is my cobbled together electrical system. I've just been patching it together since I lost the ignition switch (another story) a few years ago. And also moving the battery to the front. I've been out there all day and I just noticed I have all the power leaving the battery going to the back of the car and then coming all the way front before sending all the way back to the electronics...... That can't be good -- so a major sorting out of where all the stuff goes is being eyeballed right now...... Wires will be hacked LOL
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Get that fixed that stuff is fun and not too bad. Wiring works oem clone harnesses are superb
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

Monday, thinking I had the electrical all sorted out, I took the car out on my little 3 mile test loop I use. Left one signal and was rolling onto the throttle, trying to get my gremlins to reappear. Damn, only boosting to 4-5 pounds, double damn, forgot to plug-in the boost controller and was only running on the waste gate spring..... Turned onto a side street so I could connect it back together... As I climbed out, this new GT Mustang pulls up next to me and rolls down his window... "I usually don't stop and congratulate someone for beating me, but that little thing is fast ! Whatcha got in it??"

"Just a stocker with a little boost," I replied, "If I'd known we were racing, I would of really got after it!!!!" Hope I don't go to hell for all the little lies I tell, LMAO.

He drove away shaking his head..... Don't mess with the Air Cooled!!!!! LOL
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

As life goes -- so do our toys --

The Ghia is for sale for $16,500 --

I believe this is a really fair price knowing how much in receipts I've shredded....

all offers are welcome, but please don't embarrass yourself.
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

That's cool!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

pushed a couple of guys toward you Mario
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

These people are really trying to hurt me this week

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5835504847.html
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

No sooner than I bragged about how great my 16300 starters, I had mine go out --- Damn it!!! -- -- So, I jumped into my car and drove over to CarCraft in Riverside, all the while preparing to buy another 16300 (and get lunch at Zorba's).... Was setting there bench racing with Bob Godfrey and whining about losing a starter, Ed perks up and said that he had this new brand new starter "OE Brand Part Number BA16450" out of Florida making some really killer starters.... I'm going, Yeah, Yeah, I've heard this all before... So Ed brings one out. They are tiny and light!!! I'm looking at it and thinking there's no way that this little thing is gonna spin my 2963.... He says, you buy this, and if you don't like it, bring it back in the original box and I'll put 100% of the money towards another starter.... OK, what do I have to lose except another chance to come over to CarCraft and go to Zorba's Hamburgers for lunch (I live for a Zorba Burger and Onion Rings from this place -- they are great!!!! Remember that the next time your in the area)..... SO, I bring this thing home, throw it into the car and this little starter is winging my engine at a higher RPM than I have ever had..... Really impressed with this little thing!!!!!!
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

I get the referral, thanks! You will be getting some parts from me pretty soon I think.

Do you have to call in for this starter?
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Looks ~exactly like a Bosch SR15(X, or N, see later explanation), permanent magnet gear reduction (PMGR) unit.

They crank awesome while they last, 4 tiny little brushes, same basic design as late model VW starters.
The brushes are spot welded in, the brush assembly can be had pretty cheap though.
I kinda gave up on it though and bought a 2KW version for a VR6. (rather than the .7 KW)
(They don't like oil leaks)
The VR6/TDi automatic starter uses the same brush setup, longer motor, and is self supporting.
That one cranks, but it requires a little work with a rattail file...
(There are 2 different spur gears, you want the 9 tooth version for an ACVW)

The genuine Bosch SR15"N/X" unit seems a LOT cheaper than the knockoff...
(Don't have any idea what Car Craft charges, just ebay price)

There seems to be some part# weirdness going on---
The X suffix apparently means "'rebuilt" is some parts, and could be any version of an SR15.
Those show "N" suffix for new.

Bosch (via Rock Auto) shows a long shaft and short shaft of the SR15X--- The "long shaft" is self supporting and specs for ALL ACVWs. They are not "quite" interchangeable, as the "manual" style non-self supporting version will die ugly and instantly from a 228mm pressure plate slicing the one way bearing to shreds, and won't work with an automatic or autostick, OR 914/091 trans app, as those need more stroke/deeper reach or whatever. The self supporting can do both.

(including 914 and late Bus with 091 trans) They are also both brand new new planetary gear reduction starters.
.http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... n=__GIP__3__

One has to be carefull on EBAY, a SR15X/N gear reduction/perm magnet starter motor is barely bigger than the solenoid.
Some places seem to use pics of std starters...
MANY places are also selling rebuilts for far more than the new price.

The only BA16450 on ebay: $174 (16450 is the industry std # for a Bosch SR15 starter)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Replaces-VW ... QV&vxp=mtr

Ah, here's probably the same unit for $68, free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BEETLE-KARMA ... ev&vxp=mtr

And here's probably a Brazilian version for $55 shipped...(may very well be same unit)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-New-Premium ... X0&vxp=mtr
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

Confucius says -- You definitely have an over rich condition, if you are finding pinholes in your intake by fuel squirting out.......

Words to live by if you ask me.....
Fiatdude

Post by Fiatdude »

For those of you that warned me about using aluminum for fuel lines with a alcohol based fuel -- -- Well,,,, You were more than right

http://s586.photobucket.com/user/Fiatdu ... e.jpg.html

My injectors looked the same too!!!!!!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Strangely, I saw an article awhile back where in testing, adding >=1% water to ethanol blends stopped corrosion.
(Which is the exact opposite of what you would expect, as water is a the corrosion cause in ~any other situation)

I don't recall if testing was dome with methanol.

Still cant recommend aluminum lines for cracking reasons, even if corrosion wasn't a big ugly.

Soft stainless, cupro-nickel brake lines or plain old steel brake lines rock.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.