mountainkowboy's Ghia

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
mountainkowboy

Re: mountainkowboy's Ghia

Post by mountainkowboy »

Thanks...I will check it out when I pull the seats for final assembly. I'm sure I can come up with gussets or a mod to "fix" the weak points of the factory rails.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

mountainkowboy wrote:Thanks...I will check it out when I pull the seats for final assembly. I'm sure I can come up with gussets or a mod to "fix" the weak points of the factory rails.

The problem is the original guides are a folded over bit of sheetmetal the seat rails slid in.
They basically unwrap, opening up releases the seat...
The basic design and material is very weak.
Where they are spot welded also frequently pulls out in an impact as well due to hidden rust .

Growing up I had several VW junkyards locally: Saw some pretty ugly accident results when crawling for parts.

Replacing the rails with a later OEM design (perhaps Nissans) would be a far more secure, better adjusting and likely easier plan.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

I will figure something out.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

So the Ghia has been my DD for a few months now and it has become VERY apparent that I'm getting older. With my bad knees and shoulder its just really to hard to get in and out of a car that's that low to the ground. So I have ordered the rest of the parts to finish the front end of the SB vert and have started the rust repair, and will get it back on the road, I can actually get in and out of it without issue...even lowered.

I have decided to finish "bringing it back" to a solid car and finish the rebuilding of the front and rear suspension, engine and trans, and fixing the body. After that it will go up for sale....I will be sorry to see it go, but I'm not a young man anymore....LOL.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

The Ghia went up for sale today, I will continue working on brining it "back" till it sells.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

===sniff...sold===
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)