mountainkowboy's Ghia

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
mountainkowboy

Re: mountainkowboy's Ghia

Post by mountainkowboy »

Spent the afternoon and early evening working on the electrics again today. EVERYTHING WORKS!!!!!! Most of the problems were corrosion and PO "I have know idea what I'm doing" issues. I do need to get some sockets for the instrument lights, light bulbs, and have my clock rebuilt.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Marc

Post by Marc »

mountainkowboy wrote:...I do need to get some sockets for the instrument lights, light bulbs...
If you mean the tiny little dashboard lamps, baywindow buses use the same ones (easier to find at the boneyard than 'Ghias).
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

It's official!

I'm going to down the Ghia for now and pull the engine and put it back in the 71 SB convertible. There are things that need attention before I can consider it a reliable driver and I just don't have the time to do it till after I move. Then I can devote all my time to it. The SB is MUCH closer to a DD than the Ghia, it just needs an alignment and its good to go. Everything has already been replaced or upgraded in the Bug, and it just cosmetics and rust repair left. I will get to that after I get the Ghia back on the road.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Well folks it looks like the Ghia is going to go up for sale. I just don't have the room for it at the new place or the time. The engine blew up and it will be a LOOONG time before I will have the cash to replace it.....another one bites the dust!
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Started this week with some progress on the Ghia DD project. Burned up a dual purpose engine stand adaptor so that I can throw an ACVW engine on it and got the stalk mounted on the engine. Have to fab a winching point to attach to the roof joists so I can get the engine on the stand. There isn't anyone around here that can lift half an engine......lol.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Couple dollars in parts and a little creativity and the Ghia's engine is on the stand for the reseal and assessment.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Well the assessment of the engine is that it will most likely need a rebuild rather than a "freshening", but that will be decided after its taken down to a short block.

In keeping with my NY resolution.....I have been able to setup getting the Ghia to the shop for its resurrection on the 24th of this month....YEA!! I will finish the systems check and replace the brakes and shocks (known issues) and will check out EVERYTHING in the front end and replace whats needed.

I will put the verts engine back in the Ghia while its downed for repairs and the Ghia will be my DD while finishing the repairs on the vert. During that time I will get an engine ready for the Ghia also, so that it will be a quick swap when the vert is ready for its engine to go back in. Well at least that's the plan for now. :D

The Ghia is at the shop now along with my cache of parts that I've been gathering. I'm still waiting for some more parts to come in, but I should get some decent work done on her on Thursday and Friday.......stay tuned.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Got the rear tires on and changed out the front shocks. I also checked over the front suspension, the tie rod ends and ball joints are OK and just need new boots from sitting for now. I also pulled the calipers and took an abrasive disc to the rotors to clean up the rust from the years of sitting. The pads were new and the rotors measured to "as new" specs.

So I changed the pass door for the one that I found last summer. It's funny how 2 doors that look exactly the same, don't fit the same on the car. My original door is in much better shape than the one I found, so I will run the other door while I fix my original door. I have to space the door back at the hinges. I think that I remember seeing another thread about that. The gaps are equal all around and it will work for now. The yellow is not the same exact color, but for now I don't care it gonna be swapped for the one that was one it. I also changed the engine seals today and readjusted the steering column. That's all I could get done before the rain started.

I have to find all my parts stashed for it.....a good weekend project! :)

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Its Official......the Ghia is back on the road again.

Pulled the engine out of the vert today and replaced the donuts on the oil cooler (the source of my oil leak) and popped it in the Ghia for now. There are some small issues that I need to address, but all in all I'm happy with her. I will be doing some work on her in the next couple of weeks to get her in better shape for the 55 miles a day that she will be going.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool.

Ghia bodies were largely hand made and assembled/welded, and leaded seams old school style.
No two were ever exactly alike, even side to side. (try putting bigger wheels/tires on and this will probably become evident)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Today was interior day. I scored a set of 2006 Maxima seats for next to nothing for the Ghia this week in tan or saddle color. I've been looking for this color since the interior will be in this color when done. I also got some slider bases so that I didn't need to drill any holes in the pan to mount different seats, I will keep the stockers to have if I ever sell it. A little fab work and the passenger seat is mocked up and tested. I need to finish welding it to the seat bottom and put all the trim back on the seat, but I like the look and they are way more comfortable than stock. The seat backs are a little wider than the originals and the bottoms are about half an inch taller, or maybe there just not worn out........LOL.

63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Nice score! Looks great.

Can you post detail pics of the mount/rail setup you used and the seats setup?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

Piledriver wrote:Nice score! Looks great.

Can you post detail pics of the mount/rail setup you used and the seats setup?
I can do that...building the driver seat today!
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

So I started with these, they needed some love, but they are workable. My choice was to not molest the factory pan, and it be completely reversible. If the factory seat rails were removed these seats would be almost a bolt in deal with very little fab and some spacers and drilling.

The factory bases need to be modified for the new seat pans

The seat as it came

The seat rails needed to be removed cause the seat sat to high with them

Mocked and measured for the factory seat base

Welding blanket in place......some good tack welds in the front, middle, and rear

Re-install in the car and test drive for usability

All in all I like them! The are MUCH more user friendly than the wore out stockers. I will have to run with them for a couple of days and see if there ok. I think they might be a tic tall. I can cut off the track that is on the seat and get them to drop half an inch lower, we will see.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Amazing, almost fits like factory.

Do note the pre-73 seat rail setup is a known safety hazard in a rear end collision, result is frequently a broken neck.
They have been known to rip out even under off road conditions.

I strongly encourage you to consider using the Maxima rails and weld in adapters with pan reinforcement.

The original VW slider rails are available if you ever want to take it back to stock for some reason, but under-pan reinforcing plates and U-clamps were recommended by VW as a safety fix for older vehicles. (no longer easily adjustable)

VW redesigned them in 73 to a 3 point captured rail setup they still use with only minor variations AFAIK.
(Mk3 VW seats fit in my 73 square for example with a few whacks of a hammer to bring together the rear posts ~1/2")

That setup is also available to weld in, but would be more trouble than its worth to you.