restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
FRNKNSTNGHIA

Re: my restortion

Post by FRNKNSTNGHIA »

Doc, pics are looking great. You really pieced that one together. And did it really well. Gaps in the doors look really good. Also love the rear valance with the cut outs for the exhuast. I also really like the idea of spot welding the body to the chassis. Car will feel more solid. I'm still at point that I can do that. I don't ever expect to separate the body after I put in on after paint.

PS.. Right now your the coolest 75 year old man I know..
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

After bc/cc....Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
retired mech engr living in central florida
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Yours was almost as bad as the 73 Conv. I am working on. I had to cut and replace the front end, pans, support rails, build parts of the heater channel, replace both rocker panels from the front fenders to the rear fenders and build parts of the rear luggage space behind the seats.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

IMG_1228A.JPG
Where I started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

I have not driven my car yet, but when installing the seats I noticed that my legs were not
straight ahead because the clutch petal was too far to the right.

To solve this problem I cut the clutch petal off & welded A round tube to it too move the
pedal 2" to the left.

Don
RHough

Post by RHough »

weldvair wrote:I have not driven my car yet, but when installing the seats I noticed that my legs were not
straight ahead because the clutch petal was too far to the right.

To solve this problem I cut the clutch petal off & welded A round tube to it too move the
pedal 2" to the left.

Don
Will moving that far restrict the travel? I don't think I could move the pedal on my coupe that far without having my foot hit the wheel well when I push the clutch in. I got used to having the pedals offset to the center ... what would be nice is if there was room for a dead pedal on the left side to rest my foot off the clutch.
weldvair

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Post by weldvair »

do not know .....I'll let you know if there is a problem.

Don :)
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Don, Randy,

http://unique-parts.com/?wpsc-product=e ... edal-shaft

Here's the extension kit we use on our '73 road racer Super Bug. Everybody likes it.

FJC
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Well.......my clutch petal works great, I did not have to disassemble the petal to make the change & you
can not beat the price......(keep it simple)

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

weldvair wrote:Well.......my clutch petal works great, I did not have to disassemble the petal to make the change & you
can not beat the price......(keep it simple)

I like it.

Considering similar or using the other setup from TOS due to big feet clearance issues between the tunnel to the brake pedal arm.
(foot can get momentarily ~stuck on the gas pedal if I wear the wrong sneakers, weirds me out)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Because of the added width of the 'Ghia floorboards and seats, the seat positions are displaced outboard compared to a Beetle, while the steering column and pedal cluster remain at the same locations relative to the car's centerline. This is the first time in almost 50 years that I've ever heard of anyone who was annoyed by this enough to go to the trouble of altering the clutch pedal, but hey - whatever floats your boat ;)
If you wanted to fill in the resultant gap between the brake & clutch pedals. I suppose you could get even more ambitious and build a cluster which accepted the wider AutoStick brake pedal.
I'll be interested in seeing what you do when you next discover that the steering wheel isn't centered on the seat.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Mark - My seats are not in the stock position as shown in a above picture.
I have moved my procar drivers seat to the right
so it is centered with the steering wheel.

The seating/clutch petal assy position now is similiar
to my Z06.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Piledriver wrote: (foot can get momentarily ~stuck on the gas pedal if I wear the wrong sneakers, weirds me out)
It took me several years to find a slim set of tennie-runners/ground grabbers that will allow my oversized brogans to not hang up like that. It is really scary when that happens and you have to cross-brake (use the left foot to brake while trying to extricate the right foot when jammed between the loud pedal and the brake pedal) when you are not in a race but trying not to go over a cliff or too steep of a dune with something nasty at the bottom or no way out or back up.

Lee
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Yes....I understand that situation. I have owned 2 other KG(my first one in 1960) & on this 3rd & last(I am76)
I moved my seats(procar) ) & petals to improve that.

Safe driving......Don(Phd-mech engr) :)