should I change headlight buckets

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
weldvair

should I change headlight buckets

Post by weldvair »

I have noticed that some change the headlight buckets in their KG's.
It looks like thy are using VW types.

What are the pros & cons of doing this........Don :)
retired mech engr living in central florida
Piledriver

Re: should I change headlight buckets

Post by Piledriver »

Do you mean the early style T1 headlights with the angled cover lenses?

It looks good on a Ghia, and it makes for a good repair section on a commonly rusted area.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Do you realize that you've posted this topic three times? You can delete the other two threads if you get to it before anyone responds on them, otherwise only the forum moderator will be able to clean up after you.

Your 'Ghia will never have any collector value based upon originality so there's no disincentive to alter it further, so it's mostly a matter of personal taste.
You should be aware, though, that pre`67 headlight buckets in good condition are getting harder to find every day - I ended up needing to buy new reproductions for my car.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Any pictures of this conversion.....Don :)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Here's one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/ ... CN0184.jpg

There is a car or three out there with Mercedes headlights grafted in as well, can't find the picture, but a black convertible with the merc headlights was on the cover of a US VW mag, not sure if it was VW Trends or HotVWs.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
crazy tarzan

Post by crazy tarzan »

The new mini cooper lights have been done as well, but I like the look of the original bug/porsche best.

Couple cars with the mini-cooper lights:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=305009

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3020934/1 ... mann-ghia/

Whole thread on another site, has multiple pics of bug/porsche and a pic of the black ghia pile mentioned:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ?p=4263093
LouieJ99

Post by LouieJ99 »

My Ghia had the typical rust through on the top of the fenders right at the headlights. I had seen the early Type 1 headlight conversion and decided to go that route. I think the slanted back headlights make the Ghia look better. I obtained a set of early Bug fenders and trimmed the bucket out with a jigsaw. Trial and error trimming of the bucket and the fender eventually gave me satisfactory fit and was then welded in place.
One think that makes the conversion look even cooler is the set of repro Porsche flutted lenses I found on eBay.
I did my conversion 10+ years ago so locating a good set of pre '66 Bug fenders that you want to cut apart might be difficult.
carl4x4

Post by carl4x4 »

Not a big fan of the old sloping beetle lights on a Ghia myself, but probably the best one I've seen is this 74 on thesamba using old 912/911 lights somehow suits it better.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/407655.jpg
LouieJ99

Post by LouieJ99 »

Thats what mine looks like with the Porsche lenses I mentioned in my post.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

......for those of you that have changed headlights did you have the fender metal surround
to do it?

Don
crazy tarzan

Post by crazy tarzan »

You can do it with the metal surround--especially if you don't have any metal left on the ghia--about 1.5-2" of metal from the donating bug fender surrounding the bucket. Many do it with just the bucket and you use the excess metal from the ghia to form around the bucket.
gaurdsredKG

Post by gaurdsredKG »

My '71 Ghia restoration has reached the point that it needs an upgrade (with the help of some front end damage). I've decided to do the pre '67 type 1 headlight conversion, but I'm wondering if I need to get some beetle fenders to get the actual headlight buckets. I bought some repro headlights and I'm hoping someone has some tips outside of dropping $500 on a pair of fenders to butcher.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You don't need or really even want new fenders to hack up...

og is best, even if its quite beat up, you just need the headlight buckets and a couple inches of surrounding metal.
You used to be able to get that area as a repair part.