73 Ghia Convt. Project

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Mitchell

73 Ghia Convt. Project

Post by Mitchell »

I was asked to post some pictures of my project. I have been working on this for several years. Most of the work is performed at a local community college. There is a body shop on campus and the students taking the evening class are allowed to work on their own project. I am not very good at welding, I have become an excellent grinder, or at performing body work. One of the reasons the project has taken a few years. I am hoping to paint the Ghia in January or early February 2015.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weldvair

Re: 73 Ghia Convt. Project

Post by weldvair »

It looks like it is a nice one to restore.....keep the pics coming as you progress.

Don :)
retired mech engr living in central florida
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Blue.JPG
Ghia 6.JPG
Ghia 1.JPG
I found a couple of other pictures. The car is currently primed with a guide coat to prepare for paint. I also included a picture of my '70 Beetle. I did this one about 14 years ago.

Mitchell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Looking good ....what color?
retired mech engr living in central florida
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

I am going to paint it with a metallic gun metal grey.

Mitchell
Mitchell

Re: 73 Ghia Convt. Project UPDATE

Post by Mitchell »

I finally painted the Ghia. My nephew is currently installing the interior and audio system. As this is going to be Irene's, AKA "Speedy", car she is going to become a member and post the progress of the final assembly. She has already routed the wiring harness prior to having the interior work started and is currently assembling an engine. I am assisting her, but she is performing the majority of the work. The first engine will be a stock rebuild of an engine I had in my garage. We will use this as the Karmann Ghia is put back together. The next engine will be a 1776. She will probably ask for input from this group. As this is her first venture into this type of project, she might use a few terms incorrectly. Just be nice to her.
I will finally get my Beetle Convt. back.

Thanks,
Mitchell
ALYKAT III

Post by ALYKAT III »

WOHA !!! Nice paint ! Big thumbs up.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. It is nice to have a paint and body shop class at the community college where they allow you to perform your own work.

Mitchell
Ciderguy

Post by Ciderguy »

nice paint, what color is it ?
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Thanks for the compliment.
The paint is a Deltron Base/Clear Dark Spiral Gray, Moonstone, metallic.
I will be applying 2 more coats of clear this Thursday.

Mitchell