My Sleeping Pod

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
dustrat

My Sleeping Pod

Post by dustrat »

I enjoy going to VW events but having a Ghia it has not been possible to stay over night. I suppose I could have asked one or two of friends with Type 2's if they had a spare bed but I decided to look around for a Teardrop but most were going for silly prices.Whilst looking I came across some thing different and after going to see it bought it.It's a three wheeler Reliant Robin that has been converted into a sleeping pod.Many years ago in UK there was a TV programme called 'Only Fools and Horses' and the previous owner had sign written it up the same as the Reliant in the programme. Don't know if I will keep the writing on but you never know. Need to do a few things to it but will be staying over a few shows next year.
Robert

And a photo of my Ghia

risk

Re: My Sleeping Pod

Post by risk »

Cool!! So, you tow that with the ghia?
dustrat

Post by dustrat »

Thats the idea. Fitted a Peka towbar from Beetle. Same fittings although had to alter bumper bar bracket to fit Euro bars.I already tow a small trailer and no problem. Got the idea from looking at Aussie Karman Ghia forum as quite a few guys tow Teardrops.I'm going to take fibreglass body off chassis and make a lighter frame as its a bit heavy on tow hitch. I went to pick it up from south east of England and towed it home 300miles with family car.I got a few funny looks and lots of good comments when I stopped for coffee.
Robert
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

I am impressed.

It is possible you may need a clutch pressure plate or disk upgrade, and also possible you may need improved brakes in the form of a better than stock front pad. The rears should be all right.

A trip or two will tell.

Very cool.

FJC
risk

Post by risk »

Swapping out the glass with lexan (plastic) would free up some weight.
dustrat

Post by dustrat »

No problem with clutch as already tow a trailer and will be connecting pod Reliant original hand brake cables to tow hitch. All glass will be replaced with perspex and window winding mechanism pulled out .
Robert
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Question: are there any tow to towed weight regs there as to brake requirements for the towed vehicle?
dustrat

Post by dustrat »

In the UK brakes are not required if the gross weight of trailer does no exceed 750 kilo's. The pod weight is well below this figure but will be fitting brakes to be on the safe side.
Robert
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Good job sir! I tow both a dink and a 21' car trailer so I think in that direction.

Lee
dustrat

Post by dustrat »

Hooked the pod up to my Ghia in the garden to see what would look like. Still got to take body off and get rid of heavy chassis and replace it with two aluminum sub frames but she looks OK . I thought suspension would drop down quite a bit with heavy chassis but only half an inch.I'll put some more photo's on when I take body off and fit sub frames
Robert