'89 Blue Star Vanagon Project

The quintessential people and stuff mover.

Moderator: doc

turbobaja

Re: '89 Blue Star Vanagon Project

Post by turbobaja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

Hahaha, dang thing IS an obsession alright. We're hoping to make it on the cruise for the cause, day after springmeet. I dont plan on attending anymore shows inside that concrete parking garage, it's miserable in there.
Karl

DON'T QUIT

ajdenette

Post by ajdenette » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 am

Looking Great Carl I hope my next Syncro build will compare to what you have done.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Your attention to detail is second to none. When I start on my Baja you mind coming down, I'll make some room in the Garage for you to sleep. Oh bring all your tools too. LOL. Ok I can dream.

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Mon May 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Pushing forward, did the vapor barrier dance on both front doors and cleaned up all (3) power window switches before trimming and assembling the new ABS door panels and bolting them on. Also used ABS panels for the slider and rear hatch doors. The "deluxe" panel retainers from GoWesty used to mount their ABS panels are a PITA to install, but I found a trick that made them work pretty well. Sound deadening foam and mass loaded vinyl are behind the panels.

I made a cover for the rear bed/engine lid area to help cut down on noise. I glued a layer of mass loaded vinyl onto a layer of closed cell foam and trimmed out an area for the engine cover so it can be removed separately.

With all the doors and windows on it now, I drove the Van into work and did a thorough 4 wheel alignment on it. We washed it for the first time and found I needed to do a little adjusting on the doors to get all the gaskets sealing good. And with that done, we've been driving it around a little, about 100 miles so far. I made an extension harness for the Subaru Data Link Connector and ran it from the ECU box up to the steering column so I can plug in and get live ECU data with a scanner while driving. I'll probably end up going with an APP of some kind for my phone so I can check on things even easier. I re-torqued the CV bolts and ran over the entire undercarriage to double check all the hardware, all checking good so far. We pushed it up over a local mountain pass (only about 1,300ft elevation, Tiger Mountain Summit) and it pulled well and maintained 194-196F coolant temps @ 3/4 throttle, pulling the whole way just under 3,000 rpms and just over 60 mph. It sits about 187F cruising the freeway 60-70 mph very easily. Pretty happy with the 4 gear and 4.57 R&P swap, seems like a good combo with the EJ25.
Karl

DON'T QUIT

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Tue May 02, 2017 11:36 pm

If you have the OBD plug you could use this device from PLX.

I haven't tried it but it looks like it has a lot of features for the $100.00 they want for it.

Check it out...

http://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Ca ... 002832.htm
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 am

We needed some privacy for overnight camping in the Van, so my Wife made a nice set of curtains that snap into the Van and can be rolled up. Slider door curtain can be up/down and not interfere with door function. The material is light-blocking and 2-tone, with a grey interior color and floral outer surface.

I had previously connected the fuel feed line to the engine with a hose clamp onto the Subaru fuel pipe. Without a barbed fitting to hold it secure, it didn't feel safe for long term use. So I installed a quick disconnect fitting with barbed connection for the fuel hose and correct sealing connection for the Subaru fuel pipe. Peace of mind.

I felt like the engine oil pan needed some protection, so I used a late model GM front diff skid plate and trimmed it down for a better fit. I cut out a small access hole to the drain plug for easy service.

Karl

DON'T QUIT

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:32 am

We barely got the interior installed in time for our maiden voyage with the Van. We loaded up with tools and spare parts, and 10 days worth of camping gear and headed south. From our house in Auburn WA we drove down to Sacramento CA for a friends wedding and then headed towards the coast to head back north. The Van did not miss a beat and performed better than expected. Averaged 22mpg on the over 1,800 mile trip and provided us shelter and security to boot. Some pics from our trip.

Karl

DON'T QUIT

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Well folks, I've just learned that Photobucket wants $400 from me to allow 3rd party hosting, sorry, but that's not going to happen...
Karl

DON'T QUIT

ajdenette

Post by ajdenette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:34 pm

There are a number of us on this site trying to figure out what to do about that.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)

ajdenette

Post by ajdenette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:34 pm

There are a number of us on this site trying to figure out what to do about that.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Seems pretty rediculous. I'd pay 100 if it would stop all the adds and BS, but 400...? Wow
Karl

DON'T QUIT

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 am

Since I have a $29.99 account for 22 gigs of storage they are letting me go until December of 2018.....then they will try to extort more from me too.
My build page will then be pictureless......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.