Early bay late steering?

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
Vanman_spud

Early bay late steering?

Post by Vanman_spud »

My steering box in my 68 bay is worn out, I already replaced it when I first got the bus 8years / 23,000 miles ago although I couldn't tell the difference between the new and old one at the time but it kept the MOT man happy. This box is actualy filled with grease not oil - which I never thought was right and it still only has a plug and no grease nipple so can't add more.

Anyway I was wondering if it is possible to modify my bus to accept the later box (the one in my 79 camper has ZERO play, touch the steering wheel with 1 finger and the wheels instantly turn even when stationary)

Has anyone has done it or even fit a steering rack?

I wouldn't want the rack from C.E. here in the UK as the end of the rack sits under the bumper and i just know I would hit it at some point.
busman78

Re: Early bay late steering?

Post by busman78 »

It has been done, not a direct bolt in, two new holes need to be drilled in the frame since the bolt pattern of the later box is different. You have to use the pitman arm of the late box also, but the drag link is the same.

I assume you are in England, contact Heritage VW, although they do not sell boxes they can direct you to some one that may rebuild. There has got to some company over there that remans the steering boxes.