Getting the syncro back on the road

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
ajdenette

Getting the syncro back on the road

Post by ajdenette »

Well I am Alex my parents bought this Syncro brand new from the dealer.
We have owned the van ever since, as with any old car its had lots of work over the years but has not let us down in a big way however the last shop to do major work installed a VW of Canada engine in it that quickly started putting exhaust into the coolant. I drove it like this a bit with regular stops to let off some pressure but it had become unbearable and unreliable :cry:
I had purchased a parts van
but decided at 140,000 miles the 2.1 in it was getting a bit long in the tooth and figured I would save the case to build into a 2.2 so I gathered some windows and sealed it up to move it outside and open up some garage space (my parents didn’t like having 2 inoperable Vanagons in the garage taking up space)
Finally I decided to reseal the engine so out it came.
And after removing one head it was clear that the upper gaskets were junk and causing all the head ache :evil:
So I went to the parts van and got a nice set of heads and realized the pistons sat low in their cylinders :roll:
Low compression:
Standard Compression:
so the pistons and cylinders were going to come out the spare engine will be a 2.2 any how so I don’t need them and they are good original VW ones. well after pulling it apart I cut my thumb pretty bad on a piston ring and had to stop for a little bit but did get a set of AMC heads from fuser rebuild with new valves, and wanted fusers help rebuilding the bottom end but with my work schedule and fuser heading back to school it looks like its going to be a long time before that goes any where so I started thinking about buying another complete engine. I missed a few but finally an engine came up while I had the money plus it came with 4 Vanagon alloy wheels :D something I had wanted to have so off to pick it up (not thinking I would be literally)
well the hoist my grandfather simply bolted to the bed which had been tweaked a few times since install finally gave up I thought I had it solved with the chains however when I went to swing it into the bed down it came :x now I had an engine on the ground and a long ways to lift it alone....

Well after gathering some random stuff around where I was I managed to lift the engine up progressively until at last it and all its goodies were in the truck.

After getting it home and into my garage it was time to dig out the Vanagon

I did that and have since managed to get the engine mated to the trans and get it bolted to the van(no picture at the moment) next is plumbing and wiring and installing some tune up and new cooling parts :) here is to hoping there are no major problems with this engine.
so here is to the trials of getting it back together with the plates having been recently freed up (aka my brother smacked up his car posibly totalling it) the vanagon may go back on the road.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
perrib

Re: Getting the syncro back on the road

Post by perrib »

Congrats on rescuing another VW. :)
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Yay! Hurry hurry! One week to transporterfest!
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

if i get the day off and the syncro is registered ill just go grab the westy :lol: my grandparents will let me use it i wont brake it like the truck or ill fix it (probably bring some spare parts just in case.)

well the silver syncro is being saved its just surviving the brown one on the other hand..... :lol: hopefully one day it will be my off road syncro with an svx :wink:
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
fusername

Post by fusername »

good to finally see a build thread for you! We will build you that 2.2 yet, although I really think you should be thinking turbo. those WBX engines LOOVE boost, 200 hp would be easy...
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

thats what the 1.9 in the corner is for once we figure out the endplay issue :twisted: that and i need to find a goodvolvo wireing donor 8)
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
fusername

Post by fusername »

good good, I always wanted to do a turbo t1, but with the power avail in a t4, who needs boost?

(the answer is probably me whne I have a bit more cash to blow on breakin the 200 mark in a n ac vw.)
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

Well I oficially have sunday off hopefully get it running tomorrow :) hoses and wiring on time to screw the heat sheild in and put the exhaust on and add coolant :D im happy and excitedtfest here we come
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Woooohooooo! Alex is gonna be at the fest!

Hey, got any early bay outside slider handles (the ones with the lock in the handle and not separate)?
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

i think the white door has one wont be out that way to get it too soon though.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

well she turns over nicely not firing yet but there is noise threw the batery on the charger this engine seems to take more to turn it over might be the good uper cylinder gaskets of the regular compression pistons :roll:

started today some what about here

then ended here what you cant see is the completed exhaust all put together and the heat shild fully screwed in :D

and some goodies came in the mail :D as i had no hardware and only three center caps i already have new nkg spark plugs for it :D
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
fusername

Post by fusername »

you should swing by here sometime, i have an elecronically controlled LSD rear diff from a merc, locks from 20%-100%, bet you could find a way to fit it into that there syncro of yours. no one likes a 4wd thats only 2wd, make it 3!

Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Umm, where do you install the cookies?
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

The frisbe and the cookies are percs of ordering form van-cafe and they go in my belly a thank you for getting goodies for y van :lol:
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
ajdenette

Post by ajdenette »

added coolant, well some 2.2 gallons of the 4.5 it should take. checking why it wouldnt fire and finally found out why there was never any fuel at the test port :evil: guess i need to wrangle myself a fuel pump going to try the one off the spare syncro. The one of the green bus (fuser and sneaks know what i am talking about) was dead and the one of the 85 i picked up a spare and installed it on that now i need it and its an hour away :roll: so sneaks where did you find the cheapest price on a fuel injection fuel pump?
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)