New VW bus owner

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
rwoz

New VW bus owner

Post by rwoz »

My friend in California inherited a 1974 VW Bus.Excellant condition,original paint interior,headliner etc etc...he had no intrest in the bus.and wanted me to help him sell it.When I lived in California I previously had show cars.1970 big block el camino,74 Mustang and others in the past.Got burned out on the car show action and sold my cars.
Well this bus I could not turn down.Being retired I thought that would be a good hobby vehicle.I brought it out here to North West Arkansas and am having a blast with it.Took it up to Ureka Spings Arkansas 18th annual vw show.What a thrill...........
Not having much knowledge of VW engines,I have a question about my fuel pump.when starting up my bus.i have a big gas leak at my fuel pump and after running for a couple of minutes it stops leaking.Do I need a new fuel pump or what would you suggest? Probably a simple fit,but like i said i'm not to savvy on VW's tk's rwoz
Stray Catalyst

Re: New VW bus owner

Post by Stray Catalyst »

Replace the fuel lines first (get the real German hoses, though they're a little more expensive) and get rid of the little clear fuel filter that's probably in your engine compartment - they're famous for leaks, and have caused a lot of fires over the years. Fuel pumps aren't usually the source of the leaks, though it can happen. If the pump itself is leaking, it's easy to replace.

Stray
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

A new mechanical pump is going to be hard to find, but it looks like German Supply has them at present. Many people seem to end up using an electrical pump instead. Best to buy a relay kit that will cut the electric pump off should you be in a wreck. German Supply has the relays as well, you can get a socket of the relay from a wrecking yard.

http://www.germansupply.com

There is nothing at all special about the externally braided German fuel line, it will fail in time just like any other fuel line but you won't see when it begins to crack. If you want long lasting fuel line buy fluoroelastomer lined FI hose, it has good resistance to fuel additives and should last for a decade or more. It can be quite expensive though.
DannyK

Post by DannyK »

We like pics on the STF, so here's one I shot of your bus last weekend to get you started. :) Image If you want to bring 'er over we can replace those lines and filter and check the pump.
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

Wow, nice bus. I guess I need to find myself a California heir/heiress with a bus they don't want. 8)